Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set Max Fan Speed

Hello i am ahmad from jambi, i want to ask is there a way to set max fan speed, because my fan run with full speed around 4500 rpm my guest, but the weird is stat pro show the speed is 0(zero) rpm, i already send my iMac to service on Authorised Service Apple on jakarta, after over one month they just reinstall and send to me, for now i can’t send my iMac to service because i have lot a work to do due to the service before took to long.

Note :

iMac MD093 Late 2012 21.5”

Result Apple Hardware Test. Alert Message : 4M0T/4/40000002: Main - 0

I do not upgrade anything on my iMac

I have already try Reset SMC and PRAM

I have already try clean install.

i have already try SMCFanControl with terminal to execute command

" sudo /applications/smcfancontrol.app/Contents/resources/smc -k F0Mx -w 2710"

None of this work

imac

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 6:59 PM

9 replies

Apr 16, 2015 7:53 PM in response to ahmad_febry

I'm not 100% certain what you need, but it seems your computer fan runs at 4500RPM all the time, while iStat suggests nothing is happening. So you want some software to normalize the fan.

If that's the case, you have two software options that should work. The first is the free SSD Fan Control http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/, and the second is the HD Fan Control http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39220/hdd-fan-control, which is $35.

I don't know what's causing the fan issue, and nor do I know if the two packages here will fix the problem. (For example, opening the iMac up incorrectly can cause the fans to run incessantly. In that case, I'm not sure if software will help.)

Apr 28, 2015 10:30 AM in response to ahmad_febry

I'm sorry that didn't work for you.

Download iStat to monitor whether the fans are actually working. http://bjango.com/ios/istat/

As long as you use your computer at minimum heat, there shouldn't be a problem, but the issue comes when you're processing video or gaming. You've done everything right so far...and it might be a good time to visit your Apple Store. For some reason, the fans seem to be inactive

Apr 28, 2015 10:39 AM in response to ahmad_febry

I hate to say it but your machine needs to be repaired, it has a hardware problem per your first post. The hardware test indicated:

Result Apple Hardware Test. Alert Message : 4M0T/4/40000002: Main - 0

This indicates there is a hardware problem that needs to be repaired. Apple does not disclose what the codes mean, only an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple have that list.

Trying to adjust the fan speed may result in further damage, I recommend not changing the fan speed.

Good luck.

Apr 28, 2015 3:23 PM in response to poikkeus1

Thank you for your reply, i know my fan is working because is making loud noise and if i touch my back imac i can feel strong wind from my imac. here from istat

User uploaded file

i have already send my imac to Authorized Service Provider on jakarta (i from jambi) 2 month ago, after over 1 month they just reinstall my imac, even i have show the result Apple Hardware Test and chat from CS Apple, for now i can't send my imac because i have a lot work to do due to the service before took so long over one month. and my warranty end of may will expired.

Apr 28, 2015 3:24 PM in response to rkaufmann87

yes i know this hardware issue, i have already send my imac to Authorized Service Provider on jakarta (i from jambi) 2 month ago, after over 1 month they just reinstall my imac, even i have show the result Apple Hardware Test and chat from CS Apple, for now i can't send my imac because i have a lot work to do due to the service before took so long over one month. and my warranty on end of may will expired.

Set Max Fan Speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.