Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Server 4.1 update, Time Machine backups are huge

Hi,

After updating to Server 4.1, every one of my Time Machine backups for the machine (Late 2012 iMac) running OS X Server (which is backed up to a USB connected drive) is between 3GB and 7GB. When a backup finishes, I can immediately force a manual backup and it's >= 3GB.

Using the timedog utility, I narrowed the problem down to the OS X Server install, the largest file being:

/Library/Server/Wiki/Logs/postgres-xpg.log

Every 10 seconds, an entry similar to the following is added to this file:

2015-04-16 23:04:31 XPG.5941: matched path for pg_receivexlog file: /Library/Server/Wiki/Database.xpg/backup/000000010000006300000035.partial

This particular log file is around 3GB in size. It appears to have every log entry since I installed OS X Server December 2013. I find it odd this is happening in the Wiki directory as the Wiki service is disabled. I am using the following services:

Caching

Calendar

Contacts

File Sharing

Time Machine (for my Macbook backups)

I went into Time Machine (on the iMac) and deleted all the backups for /Library/Server/Wiki and that freed up 160GB. I could just exclude that from backups, but I don't want to do that. I would like to know why these entries keep getting put into that log and also why, if those entries are appropriate, the log is not rotated.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Patrick

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 1:19 AM

Hi Patrick,

That particular log-file has had an issue for some time now.

Even when the wiki is not loaded the wiki proces generates errors which keeps on filling this log.

Exclude it from the backup simply solves your backup issue.

However there are some suggestions for "fixing" this enormous log around in the Apple Support Community.

I don't worry too much about it anymore, but you can generate a new file and throw out the old for instance.

As long as you have enough storage you're fine.

Some usefull steps for a fix are mentioned here:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/113837/library-server-wiki-database-xpg -consuming-huge-amount-313gb-of-disk-space

Goodluck

Jeffrey

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 1:19 AM in response to Patrick123

Hi Patrick,

That particular log-file has had an issue for some time now.

Even when the wiki is not loaded the wiki proces generates errors which keeps on filling this log.

Exclude it from the backup simply solves your backup issue.

However there are some suggestions for "fixing" this enormous log around in the Apple Support Community.

I don't worry too much about it anymore, but you can generate a new file and throw out the old for instance.

As long as you have enough storage you're fine.

Some usefull steps for a fix are mentioned here:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/113837/library-server-wiki-database-xpg -consuming-huge-amount-313gb-of-disk-space

Goodluck

Jeffrey

After Server 4.1 update, Time Machine backups are huge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.