Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mainstage: Group switching in EXS

I'm doing some pit work using Mainstage and it involves EXS24. I want to be able to create patches that select a particular group within an EXS instrument, for example, one patch for the pizzicato group or legato group, etc. I would ordinarily use Switch Group by Controller or Key Switching but don't know how to do this automatically from patches in Mainstage.

So far, I've been creating custom sampler instruments with just a single articulation, but that is taking a long time.

I'd be grateful for some pointers on how best to do this. It's also important for using VSL within Mainstage as well, since I need to do matrix switching, again using keys or controllers etc.

Thank you!

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 5:46 AM

11 replies

Apr 17, 2015 7:17 AM in response to SurreyAATCE

A lot of work has already been done for you in the Jam Pack Symphony Orchestra instruments.

User uploaded file

A quick and easy alternative is to layer two instrument channel strips. Start with a pizzicato string patch and create a second channel strip with a legato instrument and crossfade between them with an expression pedal or other controller. In the channel strip inspector>MIDI input>controllers>expression, select the transform window and invert one group of the layer. You could even do a radical slope to act as an A/B switch rather than a crossfade. In fig. 2, I started with a normal slope and dragged the left(0 value) side to the middle, then clicked on the middle line on the right side of the slope and dragged it to the top. Do the reverse on the other channel strip. Any value lower than 64 will be all one sound and higher than 64 will be all the other.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2015 7:42 AM in response to lifenoise

Thank you for replying - I'm grateful you took the time - but this doesn't solve the problem. I know about remapping and the possibility of using either a pedal or another controller but what I want is to create a patch that automatically selects the group without any further input. I'm already using 3 pedals - switch, volume and sustain.

The show I'm doing will have hundreds of patches and I have quite literally no time other than to press the switch pedal to move from one patch to another. In any case, the string patches include groups for pizz, legato, trills, staccato etc. I need to be able to employ all of these in the pit so remapping to invoke just two of these isn't enough.

I can do what I want by creating separate sampler instruments with a single articulation for every patch but that seems rather a long-winded approach, especially when I have to do it for many orchestral instruments.

It's almost as if I want Mainstage to send a message to EXS to select the appropriate group. I've seen another post where someone does this for external instruments when needing to send an RPN but this is not exactly the same and we're talking about one of Logic's own isntruments so I was hoping for a simple solution. I can't believe I'm the first person to want this so I'm hoping someone has a solution.

Of course, I may have misunderstood your post but you imply another manual intervention, rather than just automatically selecting the right articulation immediately.

Thank you again for your detailed response but I'm still at the starting point. . .

Apr 18, 2015 5:42 AM in response to CCTM

Thank you for your contribution. Not sure how that helps, though.

The exact scenario is that I need to be able to move through my patches using a foot pedal. Some patches will be EXS24 instruments. The EXS instrument will have multiple groups, representing different articulations. However, without a way to select a group, only the default one will be selected.

So, how to select a group?

The Select Group By menu does have various options but none of them can be set automatically by Mainstage - or that's my assumption, which I'm hoping someone can correct.

Articulation ID is only available in the Event List, as far as I know. I don't know of any way of setting it in Mainstage, just as there is no way of setting it within a region.

Finally, I don't have Studio Strings on my system. I've taught Logic for years (I'm a Certified Apple Trainer) and don't ever remember seeing it either in a Jam Pack or in the main Logic distribution. Where did you find it?

At the moment, the only way I can think of cracking it is by using a Script to select a group via key switching - again this seems overkill, since the script would run for every incoming MIDI event and not just once when the patch is selected - again, if someone could correct me on that so that the script only runs once, I'd be grateful.

I appreciate your comments - thanks again!

Apr 18, 2015 7:05 AM in response to SurreyAATCE

Hi

To clarify some of this:

With MS3.1.1 and LPX 10.1.1 there is a factory Patch in the Orchestra:Strings area called Studio Strings. It has, by default, a Smart Control setup that has 4 buttons assigned to switch strings articulations. It uses an EXS Instrument called Full Strings+.

You could assign an external foot pedal that is transmitting a MIDI CC # to a Smart control that switches Artic ID in the Assignments and Mappings pane, or you could "roll your own" Fader Screen Control mapped to the Channel Strip Articulation ID parameter. Adjust the range to suit your needs.

In Logic Pro X, you can also display the Articulation ID parameter via the Step Editor, MIDI Draw etc

hth

CCT

Apr 18, 2015 6:36 AM in response to CCTM

Hmm... Am at both LP 10.1.1 and MS3.1.1 but no sign of Studio Strings in the Factory patches. I've also got all the additional downloadable material as well as old copies of all the Jam Packs. I have Full Strings+ (and know about smart controls for the "+" instruments).

However, I still can't see how setting up a fourth pedal would help. Given an EXS instrument with multiple articulations, I want to select a specific articulation using my foot switch and not have to interact further, either using a manual fader or a foot pedal.

Let me say that this is a particular problem for VSL since I use similar switching methods for playing back articulations from more complex matrices - again there is apparently no way of sending the required switch.

BTW, I'm phrasing this question generally with regard to switching because I want to find a generic solution for Logic and for VSL. I know tha tI can simply use a tremolo or a pizz patch form the GB libraries but I'm still convinced that there must be a simple one-step solution. If there isn't, I'll submit a request to the Devs and see what they come up with, though it won't be in time for the show I'm currently programming for.

Apr 18, 2015 7:54 AM in response to SurreyAATCE

Hi

SurreyAATCE wrote:

Hmm... Am at both LP 10.1.1 and MS3.1.1 but no sign of Studio Strings in the Factory patches. I've also got all the additional downloadable material as well as old copies of all the Jam Packs. I have Full Strings+ (and know about smart controls for the "+" instruments).

You may need to either redownload the content, or you are looking at Channel Strip Settings or ? rather than Patches in the Library?

SurreyAATCE wrote:

However, I still can't see how setting up a fourth pedal would help. Given an EXS instrument with multiple articulations, I want to select a specific articulation using my foot switch and not have to interact further, either using a manual fader or a foot pedal.

OK... if I understand correctly

As an example, here is a MS3 concert constructed using 1 Patch with Studio Strings. I have a Fader assigned to incoming MIDI CC12 ( as an example) and I have mapped it to Arctic ID for the Studio Strings strip.

User uploaded file

You could possibly do this other ways, but as an example

With MS:Preferences set to "Parameter Values on Patch change" Revert to saved value:

In the first Patch I adjusted the fader to give me Legato, saved the concert

Copy the Patch, adjust the fader to give Stac & saved

Copy the Patch, adjust the fader to give Trem & saved.

Now simply changing Patches calls up the required Artics automatically

You could probably make use of Alias strips too if you wanted to (not tested at the mo')

HTH ( if I have missed the point, apologies for time wasting)

CCT

Apr 18, 2015 7:08 AM in response to CCTM

I'm grateful for your continued support, CCT.

Firstly - I've located the Studio Strings. I misunderstood you. They're in the MS patch Library, not the EXS library. Your mentioning "Factory" threw me since MS doesn't call them factory the same way Logic does. My fault. . .

Apologies if I'm not being clear. I'm programming for a production of Sunset Boulevard. There are hundreds of patches, including autochords, Harp glisses, string harmonics - in other words more than the usual pit programming job, for which I have used previously used VSL or a Kronos. So, I'm trying Mainstage - for the first time.

Some of the patch changes occur in that commodious gap between 16th notes, meaning that I barely have time to hit the foot switch. I'm also setting up a volume pedal and a sustain pedal so have a barrage of controls.

I don't have time (or enough hands) to interact with Smart Controls via a control surface or yet another pedal. I simply want to select a patch and have it automatically dig into an EXS instrument and select the exact group or select the patch within a VSL matrix. I may have misunderstood your suggestions but they all seem to imply that I need another manual intervention, whether using smart controls or whatever.

Were there a way to select a patch (via foot pedal), have it grab the appropriate (aliased) channels strip, automatically send a CC or key switch to select the appropriate EXS group or VSL patch then I would be a happy bunny. Likewise, were it possible to run a script automatically on selecting a patch then I could send the necessary CC/key switch/Articulation ID myself.

If you have any final thoughts, I'll happily send another helpful or solved sticker your way but I'm becoming frustrated with what seems to be a relatively simple problem.

Kind regards.

Mainstage: Group switching in EXS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.