Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro mid 2010 White Screen of Death

Hey guys.

So i have this 15 inch MacBook Pro Mid 2010, that i had since July 2010 which had only one problem with the graphic card once in 2013, but i got the motherboard replaced free of charge since apple made it some MacBooks with a problem on the graphic card but this is not the actual problem.

Since i replaced the motherboard in 2013 (february or march), I never upgraded my OS X (which BTW it was the original 10.6 with the latest update). A couple of months after I had the Motherboard replaced, I upgraded the OS to 10.8 and updated the OS till it's later version 10.8.5.

When the update arrived in October 2013, there were several problems that i managed to solve by myself, but there was still one that I never got it solved, that was the apple logo with the spinning mouse wheel. It wasn't too serious back then, I just forced shut down and start up again, some times I even turned on directly to safe mode (which BTW it didn't give the apple logo with the spinning mouse wheel), and restarted it in normal mode and then the log in screen.

Since mid-February 2015, this problem got worst. the apple logo with spinning mouse appeared in the safe boot, and restarting to normal mode it went normaly to the log in screen. But the biggest problem came down on my Mac about 2 weeks ago when I was seeking help on the apple comunity and the guy said to me to run a permission test and repair any permission errors in case if it found any. So I did the test and it found several errors (about 432) and i repaired them all.

Still the Apple logo with the sppining mouse wheel kept going on and on. So I told in the same thread the same problem is up. but no permission problems were found. So someone told me to run another kind of test that worked on his Mid 2011 Macbook Pro with the 10.8.5; So half way through the test, my Mac froze for about 15-20 min and then spinning mouse wheel apeared, I left for an hour or so (house chores thing) and when I came back the same thing on the screen: the mouse pinter with the spinning wheel, and the test half way through (I remember that the progress bar didn't move an inch and the % was at ~57%).

So I held the power button to force it to shut down and pressed the power button to start it back up, and then I think this is what mac users fear most: the start up chime and white/light gray screen with no apple logo and no loading wheel. I took my mac to tech support in the place I work and they said it's the white screen of death, and they said that they didn't had the tools to diagnose what problem could have caused the white screen of death. I even tryed to safe boot and the recovery boot. but it was no due, just the start up chime and the white screen and no apple logo and no loading wheel.

So what should I do?

att.

Kimen

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Apple Logo with Spinning Wheel

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 7:40 AM

18 replies

Apr 17, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Kimenkroi

Take out the HDD and install it in an enclosure and connect it to you MBP via USB. See if you can boot the MBP via startup manager.

http://https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204417

If successful, you probably have a faulty SATA connection cable.

If not successful, try the HDD on another Mac that can run Mt. Lion to test the HDD. If not available, make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a FREE evaluation.

Ciao.

Apr 27, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Kimenkroi

Ogelthorpe, I went to the Apple Genious Bar, and they couldn't find anithing wrong with my mac, they even opened it and all. They even went made a test on the HDD and it was alright. I went to an authorized Apple tech support, and they had a full look at my mac. they showed that the back part of the processor in the motherboard was fried. Looks like I'll have to buy a new mac.

ps.: I took the HDD and the RAM out, for further purpuses.

Macbook Pro mid 2010 White Screen of Death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.