Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos lost after upgrading iPhoto to Photos

All my photos are gone now that I've upgraded to Photos. Any clue where to find them? They're not under photos.

When I launched Photos it didn't say anything about my existing library, it just asked me about iCloud and I said "later". iPhoto is greyed out and when I try and open it from Time Machine (and my external backup) it tells me I need to upgrade iPhoto and takes me to apps store where it says it's not available for the US.

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 7:33 AM

Is your existing iPhoto library in the default location, your Pictures folder?

If not, drag the library to the Photos icon in the Dock to migrate it.

The library needs to be on your system drive or a directly connected rive, formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled).

As to the greyed out iPhoto - you can only run iPhoto 9.6.1 with MacOS X 10.10.3. Update iPhoto to this version.

Try to update from the Purchases tab of the AppStore.

If you are seeing iPhoto on your Purchases tab at the AppStore, delete the iPhoto Application from the Applications folder. Don't empty the Trash.

Reload the Purchases tab of the AppStore by pressing ⌘R .

Now try to download and install the update..

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2015 7:33 AM in response to oexovzd

Is your existing iPhoto library in the default location, your Pictures folder?

If not, drag the library to the Photos icon in the Dock to migrate it.

The library needs to be on your system drive or a directly connected rive, formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled).

As to the greyed out iPhoto - you can only run iPhoto 9.6.1 with MacOS X 10.10.3. Update iPhoto to this version.

Try to update from the Purchases tab of the AppStore.

If you are seeing iPhoto on your Purchases tab at the AppStore, delete the iPhoto Application from the Applications folder. Don't empty the Trash.

Reload the Purchases tab of the AppStore by pressing ⌘R .

Now try to download and install the update..

Apr 17, 2015 7:34 AM in response to oexovzd

To upgrade iPhoto:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

photos lost after upgrading iPhoto to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.