Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic pro 10.1.1 and Yosemite 10.10.3. MIDI notes disappearing

Just upgraded from Yosemite from Mavericks, and from LPX to 10.1.1, in hope to solve some issues regarding randomly disappearing MIDI notes. To my disappointment it rather increased and the lack of reliability is now starting to bug me to the point that I´m considering an alternative to LP. The notes that disappear is mostly in the beginning of regions, for example: the first base drum note in every (or some) region in the project, or the first chord in the piano track region or regions and so on. But notes have also started to disappear in the middle of regions, anywhere and with no sense of "logic" to it. Since I deal with a lot of tracks it´s very easy to miss out on some of these events, and the time spent looking through every part of the project for missing notes is really unnecessary. Do anyone have a solution for this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Logic Pro 10.1.1

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 8:01 AM

15 replies

Apr 17, 2015 8:50 AM in response to MrsLogic

Midi notes do not normally just 'go missing' in Logic Pro X.... Something else is occurring that is causing this...

Maybe its an issue with your Midi interface or Midi device drivers not being fully compatible with Yosemite?

Did you check for any updates or compatibility issues prior to updating OS X?

Failing that, if you look in the Event List.... Are you sure the notes are actually missing and not quantized so they are both at the same point in time?

Logic Pro X: Event List overview

Note: Especially at the beginning of regions.. if you play just before recording starts.. the notes will not appear in the region... unless you drag the region out so it shows notes before the start of the region... or you quantize... as quantizing the region can help with this...

Apr 17, 2015 9:29 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thank you for your reply!

I downloaded an upgrade for Apogee One and as for my M-Audio Keystation 88es the homepage says:User uploaded file

Earlier versions of OS didn´t need any drivers to the keystation , but maybe this is what´s causing it? I will check the event list as you suggested.

What you wrote in the last note can´t be the problem since the notes were visible before and most of them (if not all) were quantized. This issue occurs when I am editing another area of the project. And as far as I can see, they are not related in any way to what I do. I will now try to see what happens if I merge/glue the tracks, so that are not so many region-entrys, (hoping that if the problem still occurs it won´t in so many places)

Many thanks for your advice. I will check this out 🙂

Apr 17, 2015 10:39 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Sorry to not have been so precise. No, the notes that I edit can be in a completely different track on the other end of the project and have no connection at all to the region or regions in another track or tracks (sometimes it happens to several tracks at the same time), and it can be several notes too following each other that disappears. So, this is kind of mysterious...

Apr 17, 2015 12:52 PM in response to MrsLogic

Well, that is odd, based on your description..

I have never had that happen to me on any of my LPX setups here.. and I cannot recreate it (Ive been trying since you posted this issue up originally...but without success)

The only thing I can think of.. is it's something to do with how you are doing something..... that isn't the standard way and somehow it's affecting other regions though quite how or what.. I have no clue... because when you edit one region and another region isn't selected.. it shouldn't affect another different region at all... If that was normal behavior, there would be chaos whenever you edited as you have found!!! 🙂

Maybe Edgar, Erik, Pancenter, CCT, octopi or anyone else for that matter.... might want to step in if they have any suggestions?

Apr 18, 2015 7:59 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Yes it would be nice to see if anyone else have heard of such a problem. Unless there is one to me unknown button called "random delete" that I´ve unknowingly pressed, I don´t know......I´ve worked with LP and other software like LP for many years but I´ve never encountered anything like this. I think it started in LPX, I don´t recall having this issue in earlier versions. There must of course be some kind of link between my actions and what´s accuring but for now it´s all a mystery. Thank´s so much anyway for trying to help me :-)

Apr 18, 2015 8:10 AM in response to MrsLogic

Im going to suggest that you delete both Logic's Prefs and the CS file as described here... as this can often resolve strange issues or unexplained behavior in Logic..

Delete the user preferences

You can resolve many issues by restoring Logic Pro X back to its original settings. This will not impact your media files. To reset your Logic Pro X user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. Quit Logic Pro
  2. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  4. Press the Go button.
  5. Delete the com.apple.logic10.plist file from the Preferences folder. Also delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder.
  6. Restart Your Mac

Note: If you cannot find any of the files mentioned in this tip,you didn't follow the instructions exactly as written 🙂

Hopefully this will fix this strange issue you are having..... so please test afterwards and let us know if you can then repeat your problem...

Fingers crossed...

Nigel

Apr 18, 2015 9:09 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Yes, that behavior is really odd indeed. Never experienced that and never heard of it.

There are two possibilities:

Something Corrupted

This is a long shot, but you never know when bits get tangled up somewhere and cause the weirdest things. As Nigel pointed out, start with the Preferences file.

Another step is to log in to a different user (if possible) and play around to see if you get the same behavior. If not, then it would point to a user file on your user directory, possibly corrupted. You wouldn't still know which one, but at least you narrowed it down and can keep on looking (and hopefully eliminating)

Pilot Error

As Nigel pointed out, there could be a combination how you do the editing which we don't see at the moment. Couple of things that come to mind

• Aliases: This is only thing I can think of that "remotely" delete other Events, but you don't mention that you use Aliases (or do you?)
  • Are you doing the edits in the Piano Roll? If you have "Selected Region" selected in the Local View Menu (instead of the "One Track" option), then the following would be technically possible. Selecting Events in a Region and then going to a different Region keeps those Events selected. If you would go to the Piano Roll and and delete the visible Events, then technically some other Events form other (selected) Regions that are "out of side" but still selected could be deleted too. This is a little bit far fetched but technically possible.
  • Can you "Track Protect" the MIDI Tracks and only unprotect them when you are editing? This prohibits deleting of Events in those Region manually, and hopefully also those automatic deletion. I know this would be only a "band aid" solution, but if it works to avoid having notes deleted, it gives you time to search for the real culprit.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

May 25, 2015 8:49 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hello again dear helping friends!

Here´s my report. Nothing really changed after deleting the plists and as it seemed to get worse (editing 40 tracks and unable to keep track of the disappearing notes) I got so tired of it, I decided to do something that I had planned for the futute namely buying a newer Imac to be able to upgrade to 32 GB, (which I needed anyway). Another important thing that made me do this was something you wrote about not mixing Ilok and Mac and I couldn´t or wouldn´t survive without any of them. So if this was the issue I was waisting my time trying to solve it. However it did work with Mavericks so I decided to delete Yosemite from the new Imac and install Mavericks instead. And now the problem is solved, or at least, so it seems :-) I cross my fingers as I had no issues at all during the last project. I apoligize for not having the patience to test out your advice, Edgar, but thanks a billion anyway!

Have a lovely musical week,

Mrs Logic

Apr 13, 2016 9:58 PM in response to MrsLogic

I am having the same issue of disappearing notes. It is extremely frustrating. I only have a Power Book with no peripherals connected to Logic Pro. I also had upgraded a while back to Yosemite and wondering now after reading everyones post if this is the reason. I checked my computer for corrupted files but found none. Might try bringing back Maverick also.

Oct 16, 2016 11:35 AM in response to pdiddy77

Did anyone get a solution here? I save an INSANE amount of backups, and am resorting to cutting and pasting from old projects into newer projects to fix this. However, I have noticed the same behavior in the newer projects after cutting and pasting the "fixed" regions with the COMPLETE set of midi notes.

This started just a few weeks ago. I'm going to repair permissions on the MAC and see if that makes any difference.

Logic pro 10.1.1 and Yosemite 10.10.3. MIDI notes disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.