Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 made my lightning to VGA adapter useless

I updated to iOS 8.3 and now my lightning to VGA adapter does not work. I get a message that my tv/monitor is not supported. It worked perfectly before the update. Any suggestions how to fix this? I rely on this setup.

Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.1, Also iPad 4

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 7:31 AM

7 replies

Apr 20, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Cowgirl with an iphone

Hey Cowgirl with an iphone,

The steps outlined below can help restore function to your configuration.

If you encounter an issue using the Apple Digital AV Adapter or VGA Adapter:

• Disconnect and reconnect the adapter from the iOS device and display.
  • Connect directly to the TV, projector, or external display using a known-good VGA or HDMI cable.
  • Remove any VGA or HDMI extension cables or converters.
  • Note that accessories that convert a VGA or HDMI signal to other video formats (DVI, Composite, Component) are not supported.
  • Ensure that you are using the latest version of iOS. Some Apple Digital AV Adapters require iOS 5.1 or later.

When using an Apple Digital AV Adapter manufactured before early 2012 with iPad (3rd generation), you may see the "This accessory is not supported" alert. Dismissing the alert will allow you to use the adapter.

For optimal performance, you may need to adjust the video resolution or settings for your display. If your display offers an "auto detect" or "factory default" setting, you may be able to use these options to optimize video resolution and display.

About Apple Digital AV Adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202044

All my best,

Allen

Apr 20, 2015 10:27 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen,

I appreciate your response with all the good advice, but none of this helps. I was using my simple setup* just fine, I updated to iOS 8.3, and I get "Cannot Play Video, the connected display is not supported", with a close button.

If I leave it alone, I get the sound of the video, continuing on. When I hit close, it backs me out completely to the video library.

When I connect my husbands phone, which has not been updated yet, it works just fine.

Also, I tried three different vga cords, and another, newer display. Same thing.

*simple setup= iPhone + Apple VGA adapter + VGA cord + Monitor

added to that was a simple audio cord from iPhone to monitor for sound.

Very disappointing, as it took me months to find a setup that worked

I read that if I act quickly, I might be able to downgrade to iOS 8.2, but that has its own risks, since I went from 8.1.3 directly to 8.3.

Thanks again for the good ideas

May 6, 2015 3:44 PM in response to Cowgirl with an iphone

I had the same problem with an iPad Air 1 once I upgraded to ios 8.3. Following several suggestions online, I did the following:

1. Via iTunes Store app, I logged out.

2. Settings, General, Reset (all the way at the bottom), Reset all Settings (this doesn't remove any data/apps/etc, it just resets all the iPad settings.

3. Did a Hard Reboot (hold down power and main button until iPad shuts off).

Once I turned it back on, now I could use the iPad via lightning adapter to watch video on a TV.

Jun 13, 2015 4:27 AM in response to Cowgirl with an iphone

HI there,

I had the same problem and I rang up Apple customer support and they told me to:

Sign out of iTunes;

go into "settings"; "general" then scroll down to "reset", then click "reset all settings".

Turn off device then restart.

I put the Lightning to Vga adapter in my iPad mini 2 the next day and it worked! My partner had the same issue on her new iPad mini 3 and it worked as well.

I hope you have found a solution, or this helps someone else

Cheers.

iOS 8.3 made my lightning to VGA adapter useless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.