Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update from pre App Store versions of iPhoto to iPhoto 9.6.1

After updating to Yosemite 10.3.3 from Mavericks my old iPhoto '08 v7.1.5(378) copy of iPhoto is grayed out with the circle/bar through it. I can use Old Toads package contents workaround to run it; but would like to not have to use that workaround each time by updating it to 9.6.1

All the posts I've found about updating to 9.6.1 use the App Store purchases list; but since that/my version of iPhoto was not purchased using the App Store, and iPhoto is not listed or hidden in my App Store Purchases list, those methods won't work for me.

Is there anyway to upgrade from my iPhoto '08 v7.1.5(378) to iPhoto 9.6.1? Or from iPhoto9.4 which is still available from Support/Downloads?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 12:42 PM

The problem is, your version of iPhoto is not iPhoto '11, but iPhoto '08, so you cannot update, but need to buy a major upgrade to iPhoto '11.

Only, iPhoto '11 is no longer sold at the AppStore.

You could try to purchase an iLife '11 installer DVD, but that will give you only an early iPhoto '11 version, not compatible with Yosemite. You would still need to try to update that version from the AppStore, and I have no idea, if you now can update newly installed iPhoto '11 versions at the AppStore.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2015 12:42 PM in response to victorvs

The problem is, your version of iPhoto is not iPhoto '11, but iPhoto '08, so you cannot update, but need to buy a major upgrade to iPhoto '11.

Only, iPhoto '11 is no longer sold at the AppStore.

You could try to purchase an iLife '11 installer DVD, but that will give you only an early iPhoto '11 version, not compatible with Yosemite. You would still need to try to update that version from the AppStore, and I have no idea, if you now can update newly installed iPhoto '11 versions at the AppStore.

Oct 10, 2015 11:05 AM in response to victorvs

I would be happy just to get from iPhoto 9.4.3 to 9.5.

What the **** is going on here? No upgrade available after a brief period where before upgrades were freely available no matter when!

There's bound to be people wanting to upgrade for one reason or another at any point in time. So why is this disastrous practice, and why now after all these years?

How to update from pre App Store versions of iPhoto to iPhoto 9.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.