Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to configure ip settings without router address on airport extreme from MAC OS 10.10.1

Hi Team,

Am facing issues with configuring AirPort Extreme on my network .

Am using Apple AirPort Extreme running version 7.7.1.

Issue :

I have a MAC machine running dual OS ( OS 10.9.2 and 10.10.1) . I did a hard reset on my Air Port Extreme , logged into my MAC machine by loading 10.10.1 OS . Launched AirPort utility and started configuring IP Settings.

Set network settings to Static mode and configured ip address as 169.254.1.2 , mask as 255.255.0.0 , tried saving the settings but i got an error " Invalid input" pointing to my ip address and asked me to enter the router address . ( in my case it is 169.254.1.1 ) .

Entered the router address and i was able to save the settings fine . After 2-3 minutes i could see my Airport extreme take up automatic ip address from DHCP server as expected . Checked internet settings on the utility and could find IP address , Mask and Router address .

Issue here is -- I did a hard reset on the AirPort Extreme again , rebooted my MAC and logged into the other OS ie 10.9.2 , launched the Airport Utility and did the same configuration , ie configuring the ip address .

I put the extreme in Static mode and entered the same ip address 169.254.1.2 , mask 255.255.0.0 , tried saving the settings , found am able to saving the setting without entering the router address ie 169.254.1.1

Waited for few minutes and found the airport extreme started behaving properly by taking an automatic ip address with DHCP mode . When we check the internet settings on the utility , i do not find the router address .

I rebooted my MAC machine again and logged into 10.10.1 , network settings is still the same as what i configured in 10.9.2.

So am able to save the network configuration settings without router address on OS 10.9.2 , but in 10.10.1 we are unable to save the settings without router address .

So please share your comments on whether its an issue with Airport extreme's version or is this an issue with MAC OS,

Thanks in advanced for the help .

Thanks,

Arun

AirPort Extreme-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 11:43 AM

6 replies

Apr 17, 2015 3:18 PM in response to arun07

I am missing some factors here.

Is this a standalone setup without internet??

If you have internet, tell me what is the broadband type and modem it is using? Is the modem also a router?

You are trying to setup statically addresses in the 169.254 range which are not generally used this way.. They seem to work poorly for standard network.. these are emergency fallover IP when things go wrong.. so please go back to using standard IP address ranges that the AE or TC support.. ie

192.168, or 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x (apple limit to subsets of these.. 169.254 is not available)

These and these only are the private IP address spaces.

User uploaded file

If you click the DHCP range available you will see those 3.

User uploaded file

So give me a whole network picture and if you can explain why you are doing it this way instead of just using dhcp for everything that would help.

Apr 18, 2015 10:52 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi LaPastenague,

Thanks for your response .

Yes it is a standalone network with no access to internet.

Actually i have an isolated in my network where AirPort extreme is configured to be in 169.254.x.x address .

Reason we do this is because the kind of test we run should not have any interferences and there is no other device or interfaces connected in it,

More over am unable to accept the point that airport extreme works fine with the 192.168.x.x address and not with 169.254.x.x addresses.Believe routers should be adoptable to the kind of configuration it is set to.

My issue here is am able to save the settings without a router address using airport utility in MAC 10.9.2 , but not using the utility from 10.10.1.

Kindly let me know your inputs ..

Thanks,

Arun.

Apr 18, 2015 8:11 PM in response to arun07

My issue here is am able to save the settings without a router address using airport utility in MAC 10.9.2 , but not using the utility from 10.10.1.

Sorry I thought the issue was the 169.254 address was not working.

What version is the utility in 10.9.2 and what is the version in 10.10.1

Since you are not connected to the internet you are not getting updates so I need to know exactly which versions the utilities are.. because there can be differences.. apple can change the way setup works.. especially in Yosemite because DNS is totally changed.

See http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-yo u-can-do-to-fix-it/

Apple made a staggering mess of DNS .. after many years of it working just fine.

Apr 22, 2015 4:42 AM in response to arun07

I am hunting up the differences..

Did you reset PRAM and SMC in the computer.. let me recommend you try that.. some wrong setting may be passed across when you boot the different OS..

Did you set IPv6 to link local only in both windows and ethernet.. whichever is active??

This is also important even if you use IPv4 addresses because apple now does most things via IPv6 and the airport utility is dependent on it.

Let me also recommend you open netstat in network utilities and run a scan .. from Mavericks and then from Yosemite and see if the network is being configured differently.. As already mentioned Apple made big changes to Yosemite.. so I would expect to see some variations.

Unable to configure ip settings without router address on airport extreme from MAC OS 10.10.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.