Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Block major OS X updates with Profile Manager (e.g. block 10.9 -> 10.10)

Hi all,

Is there a way to prevent installing not only beta but also new (normal) releases of OS X by using system preferences?

For example, some Macs are running Mavericks and we want to make sure that Yosemite is not offered as an upgrade in the AppStore to that specific group of devices.

Thanks,

Dimitar

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 9:38 AM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2015 12:24 PM in response to dfilipov

Hmm, Casper has that feature but I can not recall seeing it in Profile Manager. However, can the "Restrict App Store to software updates only" setting in the Restrictions payload get you want you need? Unless the users are purchasing apps, this may be the way to limit visibility to the new OS.

Now, the other option (have no idea if this will work) is to check the "Restrict which apps are allowed to launch" and then adding /Applications/Install OS X Yosemite.app/ to the exclusion list. The app is a folder after all.

Now, the challenge though is that checking the box also activates the Allow Apps array. It is possible that having no apps in the list will deny all apps from running. Test this on ONE machine first to ensure proper implementation.

Sorry, have not needed to do much with restrictions. When I do, I have Casper to handle the task.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Block major OS X updates with Profile Manager (e.g. block 10.9 -> 10.10)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.