Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete duplicate photos on my System Photos Library

The new photos app does not seem to have a way to delete duplicate photos. Is there a way to do this? Maybe some external software? Keep in mind that iPhoto duplicate cleaners do not delete duplicate photos from the icloud.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), photo

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 9:10 AM

12 replies

Apr 20, 2015 10:31 AM in response to ckhutch

Really, Photos has no duplicate detection? We either have to pay $8 for Annihilator (which is slower than slow) or $20 for PowerPhotos? Apple has certainly dropped the ball on this one.

None of Apple's photo applications ever had duplicate detection, neither iPhoto nor Aperture. Both rely on the duplicate test when importing. If you try to import duplicates using "File > Import" or when connecting a camera, you will get a warning. If you circumvent this by dropping duplicates simply into the Photos window or importing renamed copies, you have to remove them yourself. The duplicate detection on import only checks for exact duplicate files, not for edited versions of the same photo.

Apr 28, 2015 11:23 PM in response to ckhutch

I totally agree that Apple screwed up royally and we are the ones that pay.

I had all of my photos divided and labeled by event in iPhoto.

Not only are these groupings gone, but nearly every photo has a duplicate - giving me nearly 35,000 photos!

It will take my many. many hours and days to try to put my photos back the way they were.

I totally hate this new system.

My quick, responsive iMac is now slow and sluggish.

Is there a way to go back to the old system and iPhoto?????

AND they want to charge me to store my photos!

Apple has turned into a nickle and dime everyone company.

Apr 28, 2015 11:48 PM in response to jld4243

Is there a way to go back to the old system and iPhoto?????

If you did not uninstall iPhoto, simply select it in the Applications folder and run it.

iPhoto 9.6.1 runs well on Yosemite 10.10.3. But you need to update to version 9.6.1, if you did not already.

Update as described here:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

The main idea is to move the iPhoto app to the Trash, so Spotlight does not see it as installed, reload the AppStore Purchases tab with ⌘R, and then to try to download again from the App Store - from your Purchases tab, not from the main page, since you can neither buy iPhoto nor update it, but you can reinstall, if your AppleID is associated with it.

Apr 29, 2015 10:56 AM in response to léonie

I just followed the instructions in Photos. Importing the full iPhoto library (about 220GB of photo) took a while. Photos keep doing some house cleaning a long time after importing which made the app really slow, but now it is speedy and swift. It starts up much faster than iPhoto ever did. So I am very happy - except for the duplicates which showed up from nowhere.

Apr 29, 2015 11:11 AM in response to léonie

I see the duplicates in the "Photos" section or tab (which is what I guess you call "Moments", though I cannot find that word used anywhere in Photos).

Deleting photos is a bit more hassel too as I now have to confirm every photo I delete even if the photo is placed in a 30 days quarantine before being actually deleted.

Apr 29, 2015 1:07 PM in response to ckhutch

I see the duplicates in the "Photos" section or tab (which is what I guess you call "Moments", though I cannot find that word used anywhere in Photos).

You will see "Moments" in the title bar, when you reveal the sidebar (with ⌥⌘S) and then use the two arrow buttons to the right of the red-gold-green traffic light in the toolbar to step between Moments, Collections, Years. For example:

User uploaded file

IDeleting photos is a bit more hassel too as I now have to confirm every photo I delete even if the photo is placed in a 30 days quarantine before being actually deleted.

If you press command-delete ⌘⌫ instead of delete, you will be able to delete without having to confirm the deletion.

How do I delete duplicate photos on my System Photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.