Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect to a remote computer?

I have tried all the instructions but fail to manage to connect to my remote desktop computer unless I am on the same Wifi network.

When I am away form the office I am wifi, but not using the same router of course.

This is what I am doing...

Selecting Network address as my office computer's static IP address 000.000.000.000, then click on Control.

I then get a dialog box saying DNS Name: "host000.000.000.000.in-addr.btopenworld.com" asking for my UserName and Password, which is this asking for? is it the name of the computer? my login name when I log in? My Apple ID?

I have tried all of these combinations and each time it says VERIFY FAILED

I am sure this is something blindingly obvious. How do I actually get this to work?

If I didn't have a static IP at my office, does this mean it wouldn't work?

Where is the missing step by step manual? haha

I hope you can help!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), MacPro / MacBookAir etc

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 10:46 AM

8 replies

Apr 17, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Colin Walton

What router is on the network with the remote Mac? Apple routers will normally allow ports to be opened on the gateway to allow incoming traffic to get to the Mac for these services. Since you are outside the network you need to get in and most routers don't allow external requests to enter the network from outside. You may consider opening ports on the router for this Mac. Personally I don't like opening up remote login services to the internet if possible, especially ones that are know to be used for VNC.

A VPN is a better option to get into the network or failing that maybe ssh. Neither of these are simple to setup & requires something to be listening for connections.

Another option…

Enable Back to My Mac for iCloud.

That will request ports to be opened on the router & should allow you to sign in with the Apple ID to control that Mac. You need to sign in with the same Apple ID (at both ends) to see options for connecting to the Mac.

At the moment remote access will be expecting an allowed username on the Mac, so double check that the user you are trying to connect with is allowed to access remote access. The Remote management section of System Preferences > Sharing should show the allowed users. Or you can try using the same name & password as the one that works on the local network.

P.S.

You will also need a static external IP at your destination, otherwise you will need to use a dynamic DNS service that can allow you to connect without knowing what the IP address is of the router.

Apr 17, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Drew Reece

Thank you Drew. I am using a BT router / modem for fibre optic broadband. There seems to be a lot I can change on its settings. If only I knew what to change! Do I have to open a specific port?

I used to use Back to my Mac very successfully, but since Yosemite (?) has been impossible to get to work. I have tried everything including starting with a completely new mac account. All failed grrr.

I bought Remote Desktop because I had given up trying to get Back to my Mac to work!

Not sure what to do now?

Apr 17, 2015 4:30 PM in response to Colin Walton

Back to my Mac should be the simplest to setup, if you can get ti to work.

See Apples documentation I linked earlier. The router should support UPnP/NAT-PMP, that should remove the need to open ports on the router.

Other options are discussed in this (somewhat old) Macworld article.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1152611/remoteaccesintro.html

I'm not sure that Remote Desktop is required, OS X already has a built in remote access server & client (Screen Sharing.app should be inside /System/Library/Core Services, or possibly within an Applications folder in there).

I'm not sure what to suggest as you can see the possibilities are complex, third party services make it simpler (GoToMyPC, LogMeIn etc).

Apr 18, 2015 12:02 AM in response to Drew Reece

Oh no! another link to another long rambling article that extols the virtues with no attempt to actually fix the problems.

This is what I need:

A step by step guide like this:

1. Can you use BTMM?

2. Yes = enjoy, No = do this

3. Yes / No etc...

What I really don't need are articles saying "TRY THIS"

Sorry to sound ungrateful but it looks like I will have to give up as I have done all the TRY THIS and none of them have worked.

: (

Apr 19, 2015 12:54 AM in response to Colin Walton

Ranting is fine, it just doesn't help us make it easy for you.

Remote access is tricky to get working from outside a network without risking inviting attackers into the network. BTMM is supposed to be Apples easy answer, but they don't make it easy if you haven't got their router.

Ask at a store if you can, maybe I am off the mark, whatever you decide, good luck with it.

How do I connect to a remote computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.