Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos cannot find the system photo library

I’m in trouble. I was deleting photos in ‘pictures’ as I wanted to clean up some space on my iMac. My assumption was that ‘pictures' is completely separate to iPhoto (or photos as it is now called). I then go back into photos (the old iPhoto) and get the message 'photos cannot find the system photo library’.

I cannot access any photos at all. I’m working on a large project this weekend and I have purchased hundreds of photos over the last 6 months which I require for the project. Blood pressure boiling at the moment!

Any help please

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), null

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 1:11 PM

You haven't accidentally deleted the Photos library have you?

Assuming you used the default library and didn;t create a new one on an external drive or alternate startup drive location it should be in the Pictures folder for your user.

If you restart Photos by holding down the alt key does it give you any options to select a library?

Check your trash just in case!

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2015 1:11 PM in response to davidpotterdp

You haven't accidentally deleted the Photos library have you?

Assuming you used the default library and didn;t create a new one on an external drive or alternate startup drive location it should be in the Pictures folder for your user.

If you restart Photos by holding down the alt key does it give you any options to select a library?

Check your trash just in case!

Apr 17, 2015 1:14 PM in response to davidpotterdp

If Photos migrated an iPhoto library, it should share the images between iPhoto and Photos.

If you've gone into your User's Pictures folder in Finder and started deleting things and also emptied trash you might be in trouble unless you have a time Machine or other backup.

Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

Apr 17, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Alley_Cat

You absolute genius. When I pressed alt and photos it gave me the option to open the ‘old version’ of iPhoto!!

Just so I don’t mess up again. How do I now get the old iPhotos back into photo?

I did try to look on my time capsule but when I viewed the last back up from this morning, there was no photo in the sidebar to even open?

I’m new to the forum. I did call Apple but probably not wise for me to articulate on this forum what they said!

Apr 17, 2015 1:35 PM in response to davidpotterdp

davidpotterdp wrote:

You absolute genius. When I pressed alt and photos it gave me the option to open the ‘old version’ of iPhoto!!

Just so I don’t mess up again. How do I now get the old iPhotos back into photo?

I did try to look on my time capsule but when I viewed the last back up from this morning, there was no photo in the sidebar to even open?

I’m new to the forum. I did call Apple but probably not wise for me to articulate on this forum what they said!

The iPhoto migration to Photos would have been automatic when you upgraded - there is presumably a way to kickstart that again though I'm not certain how as I've not done so.

If you have a Time Capsule that's great.

I'll see if I can get some others to chip in.

Also, if you can still open iPhoto you can of course continue to use that for the time being.

Apr 17, 2015 1:42 PM in response to Alley_Cat

I can’t begin to tell you what a hole you’ve managed to get me out of. Whoever you are, you should feel great that you’ve changed someones mental state just by helping out a fellow human being!. I was literally climbing the walls.

It’s ironic that the users of Apple offer better levels of customer support than the brand they use!!

Go figure!

Apr 17, 2015 1:55 PM in response to davidpotterdp

I could chat all night. There is much that I don’t fully understand on my mac! I also never did quite understand how time machine worked and I’m sure that with persistence I may have managed to get the photos back but for the minute, after opening iPhoto, I pressed alt and photo and it gave me the option to import iphotos back into photo.

Thanks again for all your help. I’m off to work on my project... thanks to you!!

Apr 17, 2015 1:56 PM in response to davidpotterdp

Pictures is just a folder, it just happens to be where the iPhoto and the Photos libraries get placed by default - nothing temporary about it really.

If you select 'David Potter's Mac', and then open the startup drive (you may just have one drive), then under Users folder open the folder with an icon which looks like a house.

Do you then see the libraries I've shown above?

The photo files are normally stored in the iPhoto Library or Photos Library as a special folder called a package - it is wise not to alter things inside a package manually and let the relevant application do it.

Apr 17, 2015 2:01 PM in response to davidpotterdp

I confess I do not understand the ins and outs of Time Machine either - primarily as I've never had to use it!

That said, so long as you have a backup strategy, even if you'd deleted something on the Mac, hopefully the Time Machine expert users here would have been able to help recover things.

If you have time, this site may provide some help with Time Machine - sadly Pondini, a fellow user here has now passed away, but the site is recognised as a great resource:

http://pondini.org/OSX/Home.html

photos cannot find the system photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.