Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All music gone from iTunes and when trying to put it back, "Attempting to copy to the disk Macintosh HD failed. The disk could not be read or written to."

Hello,

I have a portable 500gb HD and I use it to put music and other stuff.

Earlier, out of the blue, all of my music from iTunes disappeared, and I tried to put it back by dragging my folder "music" from the external HD to iTunes, but the message "Attempting to copy to the disk Macintosh HD failed. The disk could not be read or written to." appears and nothing happens. Only 40 albums (the same ones every time) go into iTunes before the message appear.

I tried restarting the computer and nothing happened.

User uploaded file

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 1:27 PM

1 reply

Apr 17, 2015 1:34 PM in response to heloisacds

This sounds more like a hardware issue, possibly a failing drive if you had mysteriously vanishing files and there are problems writing to your drive.. You could get better support on a forum for your Mac model or at lest one for your operating system version. Have you verified the disk with Disk Utility to see what it reports?

All music gone from iTunes and when trying to put it back, "Attempting to copy to the disk Macintosh HD failed. The disk could not be read or written to."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.