Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn't the text able to snap to the centering lines in Final Cut Pro

My basic text will not snap to the centering lines that pop up anymore. WHY!?!?!?

I am using the latest Final Cut Pro X update Version 10.2

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 1:55 PM

17 replies

Jul 7, 2015 3:07 AM in response to David Tostado

David Tostado wrote:

WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG TO FIX THIS DANG PROBLEM!!!! I don't want to double click the text in the timeline. I want to just drag it in the view finder!

It is this way by design. You should use

Final Cut Pro->Provide Final Cut Pro Feedback...

and make your request clearly, but I don't expect it to change.

The change in behavior is related to the new 3D text.

The move without double-clicking is a move in 3D space - you may not notice that if the 3D text is not activated for your title, but it is there nonetheless, as Tom pointed out.

Oct 28, 2015 10:55 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

How would you center a paragraph text box? The position coordinates are those of the cursor, so when I start moving the box, the guidelines appear when I go near the starting point of my cursor. And with paragraph text, double clicking it doesn't give access to a drag target. You also can't resize the paragraph box from both sides, you know like resizing something and holding ALT (and thus keeping it centered).

Oct 28, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Okiyah

Okiyah wrote:

How would you center a paragraph text box? The position coordinates are those of the cursor, so when I start moving the box, the guidelines appear when I go near the starting point of my cursor. And with paragraph text, double clicking it doesn't give access to a drag target. You also can't resize the paragraph box from both sides, you know like resizing something and holding ALT (and thus keeping it centered).

Some titles are automatically centered. Maybe this will help.

To begin with, there is "Centered". The text is by default centered, and the anchor point is at the middle.

For other titles I experimented with, just making the text centered was enough.

Can you tell us what titles are you working with? That way maybe we can better see your troubles and maybe propose a solution.

Oct 28, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I didn't want to use the default titles because they are linear. Most of the titles stand on 2 to 3 lines and I didn't want to adjust each line by adding returns into the text box (as you would do in FCP7). So I went to motion, created a text box (click and drag with the text tool), which gives a fluid text depending on the size of the box (like in Photoshop or After Effect). But when you move the box in FC, you don't get any guide or precise position of the box. And the box can only be resized from a fixed corner (only on side at a time), like mentioned earlier

But then if I have to approximately center them, maybe I should keep the one line text and adjust the lines with some returns.

User uploaded file

Showing the behavior when you move the box around (guides relative to mouse cursor, coordinates are off because of the screencapture shortcut, but it is around x : 0 and y : 0) :

User uploaded file

Why isn't the text able to snap to the centering lines in Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.