Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update from v9.09 to 10.0.7 loses adjusted date time info!!!

I finally decided to finish importing my family's 80+ hours of tape based camcorder video into iMovie. I started by importing my digital video into v10 and of course, everything worked fine. I then hooked up my analog camcorder using my digital camcorder to do the A/D, but v10 wouldn't recognize the camera. After reading that Apple removed analog import support in V10, I went back to v9.0.9, and did a quick test by importing a short clip, selected it, adjusted the date & time to when the clip was shot. Then I closed it, opened v10 and used " File --> Update projects and events" and it worked great. The event browser showed this updated event in the proper time frame that it was shot.

I then imported all my 50+ VHS-C and 8MM tapes *event by event* (a huge undertaking) into v9; and, upon completing each import, I would again adjust the date and time for each of those clips. It took me more than 2 months, but I eventually imported all the clips into more than 300 events. The beauty was that the event browser showed and sorted each and every event by the exact correct date. After I closed v9 for the last time, I was ready to open V10 and do the update. Worried that it might corrupt the events that were already in 10, I first made a copy of that library as a backup. I didn't worry about copying the 500GB+ in the v9 events folder because my understanding was that v10 only copied the files...that it wouldn't touch them in any other way.

Well, to get to the very ugly punch line, after doing the "update," more than half the events no longer showed up with their adjusted dates in v10....they all showed up in 2015 ... as in, the date they were just imported. Worse still, when I went back and opened v9, the same thing had happened! The app no longer recognized the adjusted dates & times. So it appears that the update process somehow changed/modified/corrupted the files in v9 during the import to v10. Really weird though, is that when you look at the clip inspector in 10, it actually shows the adjusted time, but it doesn't sort them that way in the event browser. And, when I try to change the date again, I'm getting an error that says "Unable to Modify Creation date for some files. The creation date was successfully modified for some files, but some underlying files could not be modified."

Sorry for this long description of this problem - but, if any contributors in this forum have *ANY* idea what happened, and how it might be rectified without hours and hours of manually changing dates again, I'd sure appreciate it! I already had a long conversation with Apple Care, and then went into see a genius in the store. I'm massively disappointed that they're just throwing up their hands and saying they have no idea what happened, and there is nothing they can do. This sure seems like a wicked bug to me. I can't imagine why v10 can't read the adjusted date/time...or, how v9 which had been opened and closed dozens and dozens of times - always with the browser showing the proper dates, now has lost the adjusted date time too. Please help. I'm actually begging ;-) Thanks!!

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 11:53 AM

1 reply

Update from v9.09 to 10.0.7 loses adjusted date time info!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.