Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari randomly downloading files when visiting pages

I'm having a very weird issue where pages I visit will randomly trigger small file downloads from Safari (version 8.0.5) to my downloads folder.

The files are all very small, about 40-50 bytes. They have random names like:

• tr-2
  • gif
  • img;p=11042207125170;cache=
  • blank.gif

I can't tell if this is an issue with Safari trying to save items to its cache or something possibly with a plugin or Extension. I've turned off all Extensions and it still happens.

Separately, I'm not holding the option key and clicking on any links or anything like that.

Any idea?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Mac Pro 2008

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 1:26 PM

8 replies

Apr 17, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Thomas Iwaniec

1. Force Quit .

Press command + option + esc keys together at the same time. Wait.

When Force Quit window appears, select Safari if not already.

Press Force Quit button at the bottom of the window. Wait.

Safari will quit.

2. Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

3. Turn off wifi and turn it back on.

Turn off Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi off”.

Visit another website.

You won’t have internet connection.

Turn on Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi on”.

Select your Network.

4. Safari > Preferences > Security > Privacy

Cookies and website data:

Click “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your ISP and banks.

If this doesn't help,

can you run EtreCheck and post the report here please?

EtreCheck: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6173

Apr 21, 2015 11:38 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks for the help, that didn't seem to change anything.

However, disabling Javascript in Safari seems to temporarily prevent the issue. Obviously I can't really go without JS. Is there some way to change/modify/set the cache/download folder for Javascript? Or should I be worried that something is messing with my JS in Safari and this could be something worse than that?

Jun 19, 2016 3:21 PM in response to Nicola Christine

Had a similar problem. Upon visiting a site it would automatically download a bunch of random files. I don't think its a Safari issue but rather poor security on the site. I use the more advance uBlock plugin with Safari. I toggled the settings in uBlock for that site until I found the culprit of the downloads. Turns out is was some malicious 3rd party scripts being ran by some ads in an embedded 3rd party iFrame on the website. The main website probably may not even have been aware this was happening. Never the less I blocked all 3rd party scripts and iFrames with uBlock for the site and problem solved.

Safari randomly downloading files when visiting pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.