Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt to Mini-DVI Dual-Screen on 2008 Mac?

I have a secondary Mac display that only has a male Thunderbolt cable and I'm trying to setup dual displays on an older Mac that only has Mini-DVI ports.

Obviously, the newer Thunderbolt cable won't directly fit in the Mini-DVI port, but I was able to get dual monitors working with a PC monitor using a DVI to Mini-DVI adapter.

My problem is that I can't do the same thing with my secondary Mac display because I can't find a Thunderbolt to Mini-DVI adapter. Are there any?

If not, then the only thing I can think of doing would be getting a Mini-DVI male to HDMI female adapter to go in my old mac display and a Thunderbolt female to HDMI male adpater to go in my new mac and linking them together directly or with an HDMI cable. But I'm not even sure if this would work... Anybody have any solutions other than get a brand new secondary mac monitor or just use a PC monitor?

iMac, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 12:30 PM

7 replies

Apr 17, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Nitruc

Edit #2 (as I lose my mind making a cable centipede 🙂):

Actually, I don't think anything above would work and the only Frankenstein that works together would need another double female adapter like this:

Thunderbolt (M) from the new monitor -> Thunderbolt Adapter (F) -> Thunderbolt (M) with HDMI (F) -> HDMI cable -> HDMI (F) with Mini-DVI (M) -> Mini-DVI (F) in the old Mac

Apr 17, 2015 2:23 PM in response to Nitruc

Ugh sorry, the above DVI solution does not work, only the Frankenstein I posted in the second post would work (IF the signal can be sent through its long chain):

Thunderbolt (M) from the new monitor -> Thunderbolt Adapter (F) -> Thunderbolt (M) with HDMI (F) -> HDMI cable -> HDMI (F) with Mini-DVI (M) -> Mini-DVI (F) in the old Mac

Has anybody ever been crazy enough to try it?

Thunderbolt to Mini-DVI Dual-Screen on 2008 Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.