Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sharing photos since iphotos became photos

Hi,

I have a large photo collection on my mac book pro, which I shared with my wifes account (via /User/Shared) using iphotos. Each of our Pictures directory had a symbolic link to the User/Shared directory (same group). This worked very well with the Apple TV.

Now we had moved to Photos from iPhotos.

Again the Photos directory is in /Users/Shared, and each of or photos account point to this one Photos database (I have have to use the /user/Shared path, as a symbolic link did not work)

I now turn on the Apple TV, and through the iTunes it is after a directory where the photos are. The default directory is Pictures, and it does not "see" a symbolic link to the /Users/Shared directory. I then chose the /User/Shared directory (from the Photo Sharing Preferences in itunes), and it can't "see" the shared new Photos directory .... 😟

So at present I can display any photos to the Apple TV.

Does anyone have any thoughts ??

Many thanks for you time in reading this

Colin Thomas

Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 12:13 PM

23 replies

Apr 17, 2015 3:16 PM in response to ColinThomas

My Photos library is on an external disk with a USB connection. Home sharing of photos and videos from Photos to my AppleTV 2 has been working all through the 10.10.3 and Photos beta period. Now it does not work I suspect the update to iTunes 12.1.2 broke home sharing of photos. I would be interested in hearing anyone elses' relative experience. Is home sharing of photos broken for anyone else/

Apr 19, 2015 7:45 AM in response to Tom Ritch

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for your time in getting back: appreciated

If there is a bug, as appears to be the case with both my scenario (shared Photos db), and Toms (external drive), which are both non standard scenarios, do we know that Apple are monitoring this forum, to pick up and work upon a fix for this ? Or do we need to inform them in some other way ?

many thanks

Colin

Apr 19, 2015 9:41 AM in response to ColinThomas

Recently Apple announce they are monitoring these forums. Even so, I suspect that as in the past, this is still mostly users talking to other users. If threre is something you think Apple should hear, they do want to hear it here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

I already reported my issue to Apple as a bug. My system was working, then part of it related to network use stopped about the same time Apple released a software update intended to fix other networking issues. Viewing Photos library on iCloud also had been working but stopped about the same time. To me it seems likely that in fixing one issue, Apple created another. I came here to see if others also had issues, or if my problem was because I was missing something. Seems like others have issues also.

I recommend you report your problem to Apple via the link above. They may not know there is a problem unless we tell them;

Tom

Apr 19, 2015 11:00 AM in response to Tom Ritch

Yes since migrating to "Photos" my apple tv asks for my password in "photos" and "Theatre" as it will no longer show in under Movies as it did in iPhoto! Then after accepting my password it asks the usual agreement for T's & C's and then says connecting but reverts back to the T's & C's screen so nothing happens!

Can't apple do anything without messing up what worked before or getting you to shell out more dosh

Apr 19, 2015 3:26 PM in response to vazandrew

I don't use the cloud at all. Its free space is not large enough to contain all my content. THis is streaming from my computer. A recent development. I have enjoyed this activity for years. I owned an AppleTV version one years ago. This AppleTV2 I currently use stop updating the iphoto info since March of this year. None of my new albums appear for selection.

sharing photos since iphotos became photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.