Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to stop adverts opening on their own when googling

whenever i google, like when I'm researching for college work, random advertisements open whenever i click a link, in a new tab. it is sometimes adverts, sometimes saying I've 'won' and sometimes that mac keeper. how do i stop this from happening? it is driving me crazy! also on some pages certain words on the site and capitalised (individual words) and underlined and are blue so they are hyper linked and if i hover my mouse over the word there is an advert linked to it! anybody any ideas? Many Thanks

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 12:25 PM

1 reply

Apr 17, 2015 12:44 PM in response to georgina 91

First try

Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac

Next:

Adwaremedic: Removes all known adware from your Mac

If you can't download it since the malware is preventing it then see:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7792

However, if you have prevent popups checked in Safari's preferences it is likely just javascript on the sit doing that. You can get extensions that prevent javascript but a lot of javascript is necessary for the sites to perform their function.

how to stop adverts opening on their own when googling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.