Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying clips from one project to the other

Hello everyone,

I have a question about copying clips from one project to the other. Often times I will have to separate projects, usually one that is a snapshot of the other, and when I try to copy one clip from one to the other, any color or audio adjustments made to one does not effect the other, even though both clips come from the same multicam clip. I would love to be able to copy and paste clip edits that come from the same multicam clip from one project to the next and have them mirror any edits made. Does this make sense? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mac Pro, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 2:10 PM

5 replies

Apr 17, 2015 4:06 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

A better way to explain it is like this:

For me it's a workflow thing. I import interview footage, make a multicam clip, and make compound clips out of different multicam clip edits so that I can name each clip in the timeline based off what's being said in the interview. I then take the different labeled clips I want to use for my final edit to a new project time line from a snapshot I made of the interview project, that way my timeline isn't full of a lot of useless compound clips. The only reason I make them compound clips is so I can name each clip edit for reference.

So, if I decide I want to add a new clip from the interview footage to the final project, I copy a clip from the interview timeline and paste it into the final project timeline. However, if I go in to color grade or change audio for the newly pasted compound clip from the interview timeline, those edits don't reflect in the compound clips made out of the same multicam clip. It's all the same muticam clip, just from two different projects. I know I'm probably doing this the wrong way, so anyone who can provide suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hope this nmakes sense. Thanks!

Apr 18, 2015 4:37 AM in response to mighty 8th

It seems to me that you are overcomplicating things. Also, if you are adding a color correction to one clip, there is no reason to expect it to be applied to any other clip, so if I'm reading this right what you are getting is expected behavior. If you want to apply the same color correction to every portion of the multicam clip, then you should apply it to the multicam, not the compound clips.

See, each compound clip you make is a clip in its own right, with its settings and effects, separate from other compound clips, and from the multicam it originated from. An effect applied to the multicam will be reflected in the compound you made out of it, but not the other way around.

That said, I think that compound clips are not what I would choose for this purpose. Instead of creating compounds, I would simply add keywords - that is a simpler way to "name" portions of the interview, and also have them visible in the browser in context of the whole interview.

Apr 18, 2015 4:40 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I think you are right. I see now that I am overcomplicating things.

To answer your question, no I do not add any color adjustments to the individual compound clips. I double click into the compound clips and make color adjustments to each of the angles from the multicam clip. When copying a clip made from the same multi cam clip from one project to another, any color adjustments made to the angles of that multicam clip that was copied over from the other project, does not carry over to the same multicam clips to the new project it was copied to - even if you break the compound clip apart to just the multicam clip, at least that's what I've noticed.

But as you said, the easier thing to do, and this makes total sense now, would be create your multicam clip, and use keywords to label the parts in the browser, then drag the clips to the timeline as you need them. I'm assuming that the color corrections you apply to the angles on the timeline will be automatically applied to new keyword clips you drag to the timeline? Also, to name those multicam clips on the timelines, would you use markers? Is this correct?

I really need to watch a few online tutorials on compound clips, but what Luis said has really cleared things up for me.

Thanks so much for your help and patience guys!

Copying clips from one project to the other

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.