Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and FM Radio

I read an interesting article on the NPR website this morning: http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2015/04/16/400178385/the-hidden-fm-ra dio-inside-your-pocket-and-why-you-cant-use-it

The "NextRadio" app they link to from the website has this to say about the iPhone: http://nextradioapp.com/download-app-store/

FM Radio? I want it.

What do we have to do to turn on that FM chip so we can receive radio on the iPhone?

It was the first thing I checked and the most disappointing thing I lost when my old iPod Nano went through the wash and I bought an iPhone to replace it.

I've read some old posts on the forum but they were *very* old (none were helpful), and I thought there might be more current information on a solution out there now.

Thanks.

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 4:12 PM

Nothing has changed from those very old posts that you may have seen. It isn't just a matter of turning on the FM receiver in the radio chip. It would require a hardware change, because there's no FM antenna in the iPhone either, and FM reception requires a 30 inch antenna as a minimum. Portable devices that support FM radio generally use the headset cord as the antenna. That's fine if you use wired headphones, but I haven't since I got my first iPhone almost 8 years ago; I use BlueTooth headsets exclusively. But even if you wanted to use a wired headset just to listen to FM you couldn't, because there's no connection inside the phone between the FM receiver circuit in the universal radio chip and the headphone terminals. So some future iPhone could provide FM, but only to users who choose to use wired headphones, and only if Apple could be convinced there was a benefit. I note that none of these technical details were mentioned in the links you posted.

You would also have to give up the sound quality you have come to expect from iPods, iPhones and streaming media; FM bandwidth and sound quality is really terrible when compared with CDs, MP3s, iTunes music or streaming content. I've done some tests myself, comparing the sound from an FM music station with a stream from the same station. I keep everything else controlled; the sound plays through my stereo, using its high end FM tuner, and the stream plays through AirPlay from my iPhone. The difference is night and day. And that's just the quality of the music, ignoring the fade-in, fade-out, and static on the FM signal.

If you really want FM you can buy (wired) headsets that have a built in FM radio and can also be used with your iPhone. That way you don't have to wait for Apple. You can also buy portable FM radios for about $10. So the argument that it is needed for an emergency when other communications fail is bogus.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2015 4:12 PM in response to Paul Trautwein1

Nothing has changed from those very old posts that you may have seen. It isn't just a matter of turning on the FM receiver in the radio chip. It would require a hardware change, because there's no FM antenna in the iPhone either, and FM reception requires a 30 inch antenna as a minimum. Portable devices that support FM radio generally use the headset cord as the antenna. That's fine if you use wired headphones, but I haven't since I got my first iPhone almost 8 years ago; I use BlueTooth headsets exclusively. But even if you wanted to use a wired headset just to listen to FM you couldn't, because there's no connection inside the phone between the FM receiver circuit in the universal radio chip and the headphone terminals. So some future iPhone could provide FM, but only to users who choose to use wired headphones, and only if Apple could be convinced there was a benefit. I note that none of these technical details were mentioned in the links you posted.

You would also have to give up the sound quality you have come to expect from iPods, iPhones and streaming media; FM bandwidth and sound quality is really terrible when compared with CDs, MP3s, iTunes music or streaming content. I've done some tests myself, comparing the sound from an FM music station with a stream from the same station. I keep everything else controlled; the sound plays through my stereo, using its high end FM tuner, and the stream plays through AirPlay from my iPhone. The difference is night and day. And that's just the quality of the music, ignoring the fade-in, fade-out, and static on the FM signal.

If you really want FM you can buy (wired) headsets that have a built in FM radio and can also be used with your iPhone. That way you don't have to wait for Apple. You can also buy portable FM radios for about $10. So the argument that it is needed for an emergency when other communications fail is bogus.

Apr 20, 2015 4:32 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for the reply.

My old iPod Nano (small square one with the clip on the back) got great FM radio reception. Even in the canyons of LA - which anyone living here will tell you can be a radio killer. And not just with Ear Buds (third party brand cheapies), but in my old car with a terrible radio but working cassette player. I would plug the iPod in using a cassette adapter and it worked great. I can't believe that the older iPod had an antenna that would be better than an iPhone, or that my cheap buds, or the cassette adapter wouldn't work with my iPhone. So the statement about needing extra hardware made me raise a Spock-like eyebrow.

But now I'm ranting. All I can add is that for me, the ability to get FM reception would trump any loss of sound quality from a stream. I share my data plan with two young women who eat up a months worth of data streaming in a couple weeks. In my situation, less is more. I want radio on the road, and I don't need to stream at home.

I'll do some research into the headsets you mention that also includes a radio. Maybe that's the solution for me.

Apr 20, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

Read an article yesterday that said Norway is going to be the first country in Europe to shut down it's (I assume government owned) FM radio stations in 2017. They will be using digital radio. Other European countries are on track to follow.

Apr 22, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Paul Trautwein1

Paul Trautwein1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

My old iPod Nano (small square one with the clip on the back) got great FM radio reception. Even in the canyons of LA - which anyone living here will tell you can be a radio killer. And not just with Ear Buds (third party brand cheapies), but in my old car with a terrible radio but working cassette player.

Because the cassette adapter cable (any cable) plugged into the headphone port was the antenna.

Apr 22, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

I DON'T miss my commute with NPR. I listen with the NPR app.

Actually a couple minutes of exploring in iTunes and I found that it also has a Radio section - which includes NPR - so I don't think I'll even need the App.

I assume that these stations are streaming, because I can listen to them on my laptop as well.

My problem is that I keep thinking about, and using, my iPhone as if it was an iPod. It took me several months before I relented that actually using it as a phone can be a convenience.

iPhone and FM Radio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.