Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am running OS 10.4.11 - can I upgrade this iMac to anything more current? I am lost, pls help!

I cannot seem to upgrade browsers until I upgrade OS, but I cannot seem to figure out whether I can actually upgrade OS - what am I missing?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G5

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 1:26 PM

Please confirm what model you have.

'Apple menu > About this Mac'. Then click the 'more info' button. That will show a system report. Look of the 'Model Identifier' & post it here please.

Your post lists an iMac G5, this is only able to run older OS's because that type of processor (PowerPC, new Macs are Intel) is not supported anymore. You may be able to run 10.5 if the model is capable, but that is not the newest Mac OS (that is 10.10 - Yosemite). I'm afraid you won't be able to run the 'latest & greatest' web browser on such old hardware.

You will need to try other browsers such as Firefox, Opera or Chrome to see if they can work, you will also need to look for the PowerPC versions of these apps, otherwise they will not run.

The only other option I can think of is running a PowerPC version of Ubuntu, it may support a newer Chrome browser, but that is not simple to setup and may erase Mac OS.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2015 1:26 PM in response to j9zak

Please confirm what model you have.

'Apple menu > About this Mac'. Then click the 'more info' button. That will show a system report. Look of the 'Model Identifier' & post it here please.

Your post lists an iMac G5, this is only able to run older OS's because that type of processor (PowerPC, new Macs are Intel) is not supported anymore. You may be able to run 10.5 if the model is capable, but that is not the newest Mac OS (that is 10.10 - Yosemite). I'm afraid you won't be able to run the 'latest & greatest' web browser on such old hardware.

You will need to try other browsers such as Firefox, Opera or Chrome to see if they can work, you will also need to look for the PowerPC versions of these apps, otherwise they will not run.

The only other option I can think of is running a PowerPC version of Ubuntu, it may support a newer Chrome browser, but that is not simple to setup and may erase Mac OS.

Apr 17, 2015 1:18 PM in response to Drew Reece

Thanks Drew! - this is helpful, yes I have the non Intel version...

Machine Model: PowerMac12,1 - CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)

Using the Safari browser has become very problematic so yes, def need to find a better work around solution for my dinosaur.

So in looking for another browser with better compatibility, I just need to check requirements before downloading right?

I tried to download Chrome but error message was that it wasn't supported by OS X

Apr 17, 2015 1:53 PM in response to j9zak

Powermac12,1 supports 10.5.8. That will allow you to run Safari 5.0.6

Safari 5.0.6 for Leopard

OS 10.5 is a paid upgrade, you may need to purchase from Apple or another online store. Apple don't have it listed online anymore, so you will need to contact them to enquire about purchasing it. http://store.apple.com/us/search/leopard

It is unclear if that will put you in a better situation - personally I preferred 10.5 over 10.4. Make full backups before you do any upgrades.

Sorry I think Chrome was never on PPC, my mistake. Here is another possible PPC browser…

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

Apr 17, 2015 6:24 PM in response to j9zak

You can get the latest web browser on your machine.

TenFourFox -- It's a port of the latest FireFox to run on older hardware and software.

"World's most advanced web browser. Finely tuned for the Power PC."

-- works for me on 10.4. Supports 10.5

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

alternative download site:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37761/tenfourfox

Turn on pipelining. This will allow Firefox to make simaltaneous requests to the server. Chrome has pipeling turned on. Some sites could fail to load with pipeling set on. The site will be old. See "Increase pipelining" in:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/firefox-optimization-tips/

May 3, 2015 9:13 AM in response to j9zak

An iMac G5 can run Leopard, or OS 10.5. Nothing higher. You'll need an install DVD to install it, though. You won't find it in Software Update. Sorry that you have to run such an outdated version of Mac OS X. Please consider getting a new Mac.

ℹPowerPC isn't as secure as Intel, or the operating systems that it runs aren't, anyway.

May 5, 2015 12:47 PM in response to HFTaylor12

HFTaylor12 wrote:

An iMac G5 can run Leopard, or OS 10.5. Nothing higher. You'll need an install DVD to install it, though. You won't find it in Software Update. Sorry that you have to run such an outdated version of Mac OS X. Please consider getting a new Mac.

PowerPC isn't as secure as Intel, or the operating systems that it runs aren't, anyway.

I have a Pismo running Tiger 10.4.11 for 10 years with not one single security issue - one's habits in browsing the web and clicking on stuff in emails is the security concern that everyone should watch out for. ALL the major security breaches in the news lately have been because someone with admin privileges opened the door to the bad guys - and they of all people are supposed to know about this stuff!

May 8, 2015 2:53 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

ChitlinsCC wrote:

HFTaylor12 wrote:

PowerPC isn't as secure as Intel, or the operating systems that it runs aren't, anyway.

I have a Pismo running Tiger 10.4.11 for 10 years with not one single security issue - one's habits in browsing the web and clicking on stuff in emails is the security concern that everyone should watch out for. ALL the major security breaches in the news lately have been because someone with admin privileges opened the door to the bad guys - and they of all people are supposed to know about this stuff!

Anecdotes are nice but when it comes to security you need to look at the sources that compile the known vulnerabilities…

http://www.cvedetails.com/version-list/49/156/1/Apple-Mac-Os-X.html

10.4.11 = 145

10.5.8 = 125

10.6.9 = 0 !

I'm probably seeing less than the whole picture here, so please explain what I am missing 🙂

These issues are added to exploitation tools - if you are ever targeted by one it could be easy to be compromised with many known methods to exploit this software. I suspect if you want a secure OS on this old PPC hardware you may be better off with a new Linux distro such as Ubuntu Mate, scroll down for PPC images…

https://ubuntu-mate.org/vivid/

Ubuntu 15.04 = 1

http://www.cvedetails.com/version-list/4781/20550/1/Canonical-Ubuntu-Linux.html

Ubuntu Mate may have extra vulnerabilities since it different to Ubuntu, but a handful is a lot better than 145 known flaws.

May 8, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Drew Reece

While any vulnerability is bad, some are not likely to be a real worry for a home user. Example:

2CVE-2007-4690399 Exec Code2007-11-142008-09-05

NoneRemoteLowSingle systemCompleteCompleteComplete
Double free vulnerability in the NFS component in Apple Mac OS X 10.4 through 10.4.10 allows remote authenticated users to execute arbitrary code via a crafted AUTH_UNIX RPC packet.

So do not run NFS ( Network File System ) across the internet.

Robert

May 10, 2015 5:19 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

well, apparently my poking around into this issue was futile.. apparently an unexpected power outage in my building burnt my logic board and the good ole G5 finally died a quick and painless death.. thankfully, the hard drive was intact and I'm all sorted out now. Thx all for you wise input I'm all consolidated onto my mac book pro

The universe forced me to do what needed done ;-)

J

I am running OS 10.4.11 - can I upgrade this iMac to anything more current? I am lost, pls help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.