Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

color correction

Since the color correction options in FCP 10.2 have been moved to Effects, once found (why are they hidden to begin with?) there is no overt way of applying them globally to complete clips either in the browser or the timeline. (Apparently, the portion of a clip dragged to the timeline can be modified using an effects preset, but not the whole of the clip in the browser). Using custom presets seems to be a workaround but there appears to be no menu option for applying a preset once saved globally to all timeline clips - only one at a time.

For this reason, FCP 10.2 doesn't work for me and am thinking of reverting back to 10.1

I question the logic behind moving color correction options to effects. For me cropping, distorting, or transforming would be effects not working with color or exposure. Dumb idea.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), FCP 10.2

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 12:56 PM

7 replies

Apr 17, 2015 2:23 PM in response to Daily_llama

I for one was very glad to see color correction moved to effects. If for nothing else, the fact that it can now be placed in any order, and one can easily add several color corrections (even interspersed with other effects, if necessary). And the ability to apply a broadcast safe filter *after* color correction, which before required using an "adjustment layer", is a big improvement in workflow.

I see color correction foremost as an editorial and artistic activity, more than a technical one. As such, it makes sense to do it in your project, not the browser.

I may want use the same source clip in different instances with different color *effects* (sorry, couldn't resist).

I may want to take footage shot during the day and work on it to simulate a night or dusk shot, for example.

You might want to do it in the browser, if you think of it as a way to, er... correct poor exposure or whatnot, i.e. correct errors in the capture of the footage (as I said, that is not the way I think of it the most). In that case, then I think that the right course of action would be to open the clip in its own timeline and apply correction there. Still, that should not preclude the possibility that, as you add that same clip to a project, you may want to add further color corrections.

Apr 17, 2015 8:01 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

If you have saved a custom user effects preset (using Color Correction effect), simply select all the clips at once, and double-click the preset, it will apply to all selected clips. Way easier than before. Or copy the first one, select the rest of the clips, and Paste Attributes. Pretty easy and quick.

color correction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.