Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disc utility says "needs repair" but Disc Recovery says OK

Hi, when I run Disc Utility on my HD, it stalls I get "This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility."

When I do this in Recovery Mode, both Verify and Repair disc give the green light and say everything is OK.

However when I reboot and run disc utility again I get the same error.

No idea what's going on. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 6:13 PM

If the computer is started up from the Mac OS X hard disk (or disk partition) and Disk Utility finds errors on it, there is not necessarily anything wrong. Only when started up from the CD should Disk Utility reports of errors on the Mac OS X hard disk (or disk partition) be considered accurate.

Disk Utility incorrectly reports disk errors on startup volume

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2015 6:13 PM in response to mjb2020

If the computer is started up from the Mac OS X hard disk (or disk partition) and Disk Utility finds errors on it, there is not necessarily anything wrong. Only when started up from the CD should Disk Utility reports of errors on the Mac OS X hard disk (or disk partition) be considered accurate.

Disk Utility incorrectly reports disk errors on startup volume

Disc utility says "needs repair" but Disc Recovery says OK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.