Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook G4 Speaker Issues

The internal speakers for my powerbook g4 have stopped working. When i go to the sound panel to select them for audio output, they do not show in the options to select. Please, someone help, i cant afford another laptop.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 3:43 PM

3 replies

Apr 17, 2015 10:49 PM in response to barreaar

You could try & reset the PRAM (parameter random access memory) since that may have a

bearing on built-in audio volume and other settings in a PowerPC Macintosh; this reset is

similar to the NVRAM (non-volatile random access memory) used by Intel-based Macintosh.

Some support articles tend to mix these, so you can find PRAM discussed in Mavericks 10.9

for unknown reason, and NVRAM discussed in reference to earlier Intel-based OS X, too. Both

use the same keyboard shortcuts, and appear to perform similar reset functions.

•OS X Mavericks: Reset your computer’s PRAM - Apple Support

•How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Another reset that may help, unless the problem relates to logic board issue, is PMU reset:

•Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU) - Apple Support

So to try the PRAM or NVRAM type of reset first, as the settings may be corrupt; as last resort,

Power Management Unit. In the PowerBook G3/G4 and iBook G3/G4 utilizes different instruction

on how to reset this, read to be sure you choose the correct method for the computer hardware.

Desktop models use different instructions, some have a process while others include a button...

Later hardware, such as PPC G5, & more recent Intel-based Mac, have a different named process.

Has there been any headphone jack of incorrect proportion been inserted into the audio port, which

may have damaged the micro-switch inside the jack - and cause speakers to not get the signal?

The answer may be software or hardware.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Powerbook G4 Speaker Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.