Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one edit dual audio files before forming compound clip?

Hello to all!

The question borne by the title will be understood when my new workflow is explained [see below].

I am recording the video my sermons on an iPad. I am using two Rode SmartLavs to record the audio: one Lav records my voice to my iPhone while the other Lav records my translator's voice to my iPod. I have so far recorded only two sermons in this manner and am facing some issues in post production and I seek guidance from you.

Though I suitable adjust the input levels at the start by seeing that there is no clipping of the audiometers on the recorders [iPhone and iPod], as the sermon 'heats us up', the decibels at which the message flows or is translated have wide variations!

For my first sermon, I selected the video footage captured by the iPad with the audio files recorded on the iPhone and iPod, and made a synchronised compound clip of them. I then brought down this compound clip to the timeline. When I broke apart the audio, there were only two audio clips available: the one on the storyline being the audio component of the video recorded by the iPad; the other clip showed up as a connected clip that seemed to contain [?] the other two audio recorded [on iPhone and iPod]. There seemed to be no way for me to break up this connected clip into the two separate audio files I knew that it contained. Having no other option, I had to edit the audio file as a 'standalone'. Fortunately for me, my level and that of the translator's matched up for most of the time and the final output was not bad.

For the second sermon, a different translator did the job and I was aware that our levels were varying widely even during the recording stage itself. Wishing to first edit the individual audio files before forming a synchronised clip, I first opened each file from the event browser into the timeline, added compressor effects mainly to it, and after selecting the clip, made a compound clip of it...the compound clip appeared in the browser. I worked with the other audio clip too in a like fashion. I then made a synchronised compound clip with these two edited audio compound clips and the AV clip of the iPad. This time too I found out there were only two audio clips on the timeline: the storyline one and a connected one. The connected one [sourced, I guess] from the two edited audio compound clips] seemed to have lost the effects I had added to them before they were made as compound clips. I had to add in audio effects and this time, because of the difference in audio levels in the initial recordings itself, the output audio had quite some variations in the volume when we were talking.

Seeking guidance in these matters 🙂!

Regards and take care.

Dr. Somanna

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), garage band, FCPX:10.2, iPhone 5,

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 4:33 PM

3 replies

Apr 18, 2015 4:50 AM in response to BenB

Thanks for the reply BenB. After this posting I tried to learn from other sources [found one in which you had contributed!]. I understand that this problem is faced by other editors who have reported it to Apple as a bug as early as 2013. I guess the debugging has not yet taken place!

The issue is this: when I had selected the three clips viz. AV footage from the iPad and the two audio recordings from the Lavs and made a synchronised clip, neither in the project's timeline nor in the inspector do all the three audio files appear. Only two appear, the one being the reference audio file of the camera, and the other being only one audio file which is labelled as a connected file. I am unable to break apart that clip into two mono channels either in the timeline or in the inspector. I am unable also to find your 'dual mono' when I click the button at the top right of the audio file.

I have cleared this hurdle in this manner: firstly I synchronised the two external audio files into a single synchronised clip. I then synchronised this clip with the AV clip. I then, from the browser, opened this clip in the timeline. When opened in this manner, I am able to break apart the audio clips in the timeline and am able to access them in the inspector too. I was able to independently edit the two Rode recordings, do all the editing works as one does with a project on the timeline and have even exported the project. One hitch I faced was this: I had copy/pasted my INTRO from a different project at the starting of the timeline. When I first shared the 'event-project', this INTRO was not exported. This time I made a compound clip of all the clips on the timeline and successfully exported the COMPOUND CLIP alias project!

This workflow needs readjusting too and Apple is making us experts at this! I need to get used to this: my compound clip in the browser is in itself a project! Hope Apple debugs this issue soon.

Regards and take care!

Dr.Somanna

Apr 19, 2015 1:56 AM in response to somanna

Hello to all! This is an update! Today I have done a video of today's sermon. I have followed this procedure: synchronised the three clips [one audio-video and two audio] and opened the compound clip in the timeline [did not create any project at all]. The clip opened in the time line showing up all the three audio tracks [the reference track from the video footage] and the two audio files from the two Lavs. [FYI, the synchronised clip's properties as displayed in the inspector had only two audio files].

After done with editing the audio and adding the INTRO, I did this: selected the INTRO clip. When I then shared the project, the entire 'project' exported! I did not have to make a compound clip this time as stated in the above post.

Regards and take care!

Dr. Somanna

How does one edit dual audio files before forming compound clip?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.