Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Library on external HD copied to another external HD, but iTunes cannot find

I created an iTunes library on an external HD that was identified by Windows 7 as my Seagate Backup Plus (E:). I copied to a second HD that became labeled as Seagate Backup Plus (F:). If I remove the E drive, iTunes cannot locate songs on the F drive automatically. However, it can find them if I point it to the exact song manually. What way can I get iTunes to identify the songs on the F drive? Will changing the label on the F drive to E drive work? If so, how do I do this? The size of my library is far in excess of my internal HD.

Seagate Backup Plus HDs-OTHER, Windows 7, HP PC Laptop

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 4:49 PM

2 replies

Apr 17, 2015 5:37 PM in response to sjgarrett

When you have a split library - with the iTunes database (iTunes Library.itl) on the internal drive and media on an external drive - iTunes is dependent on absolute paths, so will not be able to locate media when you change the drive letter for the media storage location. As a short-term solution, changing the new external drive from F: to E: will allow media file locations to be resolved correctly.

However, a more robust configuration is to have the complete iTunes library - database, artwork, associated files as well as media - on the external drive. As long as the structure is like this:

User uploaded file

with the iTunes Media folder in the same folder as the iTunes Media folder, then iTunes can accommodate drive letter changes. Using this approach makes creating and maintaining a backup of your library much easier - as well as allowing you to connect the external drive to any PC running iTunes and be able to access your library (SHIFT-start iTunes and select the iTunes Library.itl file on the external HDD). See turingtest2's user tip on Make a split library portable for details of the steps that may be necessary to bring your library into this preferred layout.

Library on external HD copied to another external HD, but iTunes cannot find

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.