Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no icloud on my device

my mac doesn;t have icloud on the system preverence. how come?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 4:07 PM

2 replies

Apr 18, 2015 12:16 AM in response to adhilkarmani

The minimum requirement for iCloud is Lion 10.7.5 (Yosemite preferred): the iCloud Preference Pane does not appear on earlier systems - the MobileMe pane appears on Lion and earlier but is now non-functional - you cannot now open or access a MobileMe account.

To make use of iCloud you will have to upgrade your Mac to Lion, Mountain Lion or Yosemite, provided it meets the requirements.
The requirements for Lion are:

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space

Lion is available in the Online Apple Store ($19.99). Mountain Lion (10.8.x) is also available there at the same price (though it's reported to have been removed from sale in some countries so may well cease to be available generally) but there seems little point as the system requirements are the same for Yosemite (10.10.x) - which is free - unless you need to run specific software which will run on Mountain Lion only.
The requirements for Mountain Lion and Yosemite are:

• OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

and the supported models are:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

Yosemite is available from the Mac App Store (in Applications). Mountain Lion can be obtained the Online Apple Store. (Mavericks is no longer available.)

You should be aware that PPC programs (such as AppleWorks) will not run on Lion or above; and some other applications may not be compatible - there is a useful compatibility checklist at http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

no icloud on my device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.