Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to activate FaceTime or ichat

Unable to activate either FaceTime or iChat, on iPad running IOS 8.3. Error message refers to possible 'Network problem' which is not the case. Have tried some solutions previously posted ( system resets, correct time etc.) but no success so far. System was OK under IOS8.2.

Any other solutions welcomed.

Thanks,

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 4:13 AM

CCall AppleCare. They need to know how widespread this is. Supposedly they are working on it.

PRetty sure it's a problem with a group of AppleIDs. I have this problem too altho I am no longer getting an error message. Check out from page 18 on imessage and Facetime sign in activation error iPad ios8.1.2

13 replies

Apr 21, 2015 4:05 PM in response to 'shana

Again thanks, 'Shama. I've trawled through the threads with similar problems and have tried a variety of suggested fixes, including the 2 that you raised,

but the problem remains. I have no such issues with either my iMac or early MacPro. The problem is restricted to iPad users and as most say the same thing,"FaceTime or iMessage stopped working suddenly." then this strongly suggests that the problem is at the Apple server end and not with individual iPads 3s or IPad Air. Other posts suggest that the Apple engineers are now aware of the problem and working on it. I guess that we will need to trust in them and be patient. Hopefully, they will resolve soonest as it reflects badly on customer support, if they don't.

Apr 22, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Chopper139

I know. I feel like we keep trying to jump through hoops and do voodoo to try to get it working and at least in the latest round of issues, it's not something we can do on our end to make it work.

I do know that the time zone / time thing has helped quite a lot of people but it hasn't helped everyone.

There are so many settings that everyone is changing about on their iPads trying to get this to work.

Mine was working originally with Location Services off, time and date update automatically off, actually everything off except wifi and imessage and facetime.

What is really weird is that my husband's ID works on his iPod Touch but not on my iPad yet my friend's id works on my iPad and her iPad. My ID works on no devices that I have tried it on. Not for imessage or FaceTime anyway.

Apr 26, 2015 11:54 PM in response to 'shana

HI Shana,

I have finally resolved the issue by doing a full backup of my iPad and then done a full reset (Settings/general/Reset/Erase all contents and settings).This effectively resets your IPad to 'Out of the Box'.

Then go through the set up menu and use the 'Restore from Bckup' option to recover your data etc. You should then have access to your FT/iMessage again.

Hope this works for you too.

Apr 27, 2015 1:58 AM in response to Chopper139

I'm glad you got yours working again!

I Tried that when it first stopped working. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I did a reset as new. I didn't have a backup before it quit working. Maybe that made a difference?

Mine actually started working a few days ago. I am not sure why. I don't know whether something I did made it work or Apple tweaked something. I haven't spoken to them since it started working.

Apr 27, 2015 2:12 AM in response to 'shana

Well...that's good news for 2 of us at least! It seems to be the only workable solution to anyone else with the same problem. I think many are a little daunted by using the "Erase All Contents" function, but as long as your iPad is backed up in the Apple system (Cloud etc), then it is a simple process.

I guess that it's an IOS upgrade issue with the software. If you start from scratch again, it seems to work (for some anyway...;)

Apr 27, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Chopper139

Oh, I tried to rest my iPad the very first day it happened, twice. And again later that day. I didn't back it up till after I had the problem though.

The first time I reset it as new, didn't work, restored using an iCloud backup they did at the Apple Store before wiping it. Didn't help after the restore either. I did again at home, nope. AppleCare walked me thru backing it up via iTunes and did another reset. Nope.

That was all on Mar 20.

On April 22, I was using an app that has the time and how far off your iPad time was. I noticed that my time was only .0001 second slow so I tried again and it worked. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or Apple did something - they had my account in test mode.

After it started working my senior tech stopped returning emails and phone calls.

Apr 27, 2015 2:01 PM in response to chrisfromgarswood

There is no one answer since we don't know what caused it to happen and most of us don't know what fixed it if it's working again. It's like voodoo or something.

What version of iOS are you using? Have you tried logging onto FaceTime on another device? Are you getting an error message? Is your Air wifi only or also on a cell network?

Here are some things to try.

The official answer If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

The unofficial answer:

In order to get your time zone and time to update automatically, you need to have Location Services on. In iOS 8 it's under Settings, Privacy. Go to the bottom of the page where it says System Services, select that and make sure Setting Time Zone is on.

I suspect sometimes this still doesn't get the iPad to a time close enough to work, but it's a start. But we don't know.

Go somewhere to use another network, like the Apple Store. Try there. That way when you call Apple and tell them it's an AppleID problem they won't try to charge you.

Check out from page 18 on imessage and Facetime sign in activation error iPad ios8.1.2 and see what we've all been trying.

If none of this helps, call AppleCare and insist on going up the tech support ladder. Second line or Senior Tech is as far as they'll send you, those guys talk to the engineers. Keep trying.

I don't know if Apple really knows what's wrong either but this way they know you have a problem.

Keep us updated!

Jun 26, 2015 1:20 AM in response to Chopper139

I haven't used Facetime for a few months but, when I tried using it yesterday, I experienced the same problem as reported in the OP. I have tried all the suggested fixes in this and other forums but to no avail. It is now a couple of months since the last post in this thread so I wonder if anyone had now found a solution; if so, please report back as there is at least one user who needs it.

Unable to activate FaceTime or ichat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.