Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after an update installation i lost the ability to text from my mac over my phone. i am running yosemite 10.3.3

after an update installation i lost the ability to text from my mac through my phone. i am running yosemite 10.3.3 and 8.3 on my iPhone. i was never able to coordinate my phone calls with my mac, although i could face time.

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 12:59 PM

On the iPhone: Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding. Make sure the Mac is properly selected.

5 replies

Apr 18, 2015 1:10 PM in response to John Galt

after i posted my problem i worked my way to the very solution you suggested. however when i go to 'settings > messages >' i do not have the option to' text message forwarding' i am presented with a button to turn on iMessage. and below that buttons for MMS Messaging and Character Count. i believe my losing the capability of forwarding occurred after an update.

again i am on an iPhone 4S running version 8.3 (12F70).

Apr 19, 2015 10:26 AM in response to ralphangelo

There are some conditions associated with the ability to use Text Message Forwarding, primarily the fact your devices must be using the same wireless network. Also, be sure that in Settings > Phone, if you have the ability to enable Wi-Fi Calling, it must be "off".

Read about those requirements here: Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support. Skip the first part regarding Handoff — scroll down to Phone Calls and make sure all those requirements are met. The section under SMS is also relevant since text messages are a carrier feature that uses SMS.

Apr 21, 2015 2:28 PM in response to ralphangelo

well after being able to successfully place and receive calls through my mac that first day, day two was a failure.

in trying to reestablish continuity i have attempted to duplicate the how to steps as found on the support help page.

i do not show 'text messaging forwarding' in settings>messages.

one problem seems to be in the activation process which i have been asked to go through again. after entering the 'code' and choosing 'allow' the contact somehow fails. i am then prompted to repeat the process, sometimes with the same code and sometimes with a new one.

signed into apple id iCloud accounts on os and iOS platforms.

???????

after an update installation i lost the ability to text from my mac over my phone. i am running yosemite 10.3.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.