Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail application hangs on launch

When I launch Mail, I can see it connecting to the servers, but it never actually fetches anything new. The connections just hang. The mailboxes are blank. No apparent content.

Usually, when it looks like one account or mailbox is the problem, I rebuild it, but I can't. The application just hangs.

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 6:45 PM

After several force quits, it just started behaving again. Go figure.

7 replies

Apr 19, 2015 8:20 AM in response to RADumas

In general I have found the force quit to work but it is a temporary solution at best. I have had to actually change the ports from Cox between 993 and 995 to get the email to start working again. I have eve nhad to reboot the computer to get it working. Very similar issues....... no incoming email, email with no content displayed, sent email not going. Then I will get a "rush" of emails........It is obviously not connecting to the email server. This has been going on for about six months now. I am afraid one day these none of these work arounds will WORK!

Apr 19, 2015 8:19 AM in response to TBeat

Yup, misbehaving again. In the activity window, I can see several "Opening mailbox..." lines. Pretty much every activity initiating, but hanging. I created a new message and it shows up as "Copying message to Outbox..." and never finishing.

I've got accounts at gmail. iCloud, godaddy, outlook.... It's not one connection that's hanging, it everything.

Any clues on causes?

Apr 19, 2015 9:01 AM in response to RADumas

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Apr 19, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you. Will try the second account approach when next it strikes.

Yes, I backup w time machine and super duper. Belt and suspenders.

The two instances of the Finder are a curious coincidence. When mail goes bad again, I'll check to see if that's also happening.

So far, to clear, it's Force Quit a few times or reboot before Mail works again.

Mail application hangs on launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.