Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto and all my photos are missing

I went to do something with my photos and noticed iPhoto is missing and has been replaced by Photos. I searched for iPhoto in my applications and it says "In order to open iPhoto, you need to update to the latest version. When I go to the app store, it says a retail version is not available.

So my question is, what happened to all my photos?! The new Photos only has a few days worth. I checked my iCloud account and the same thing. I had years of photos in iPhoto and can't find them.

From what I can tell, there was some way to do a conversion of iPhoto to Photos, however, I don't recall ever seeing anything when I upgraded my IOS version (Yosemite 10.10.3).

Help please!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 5:14 PM

2 replies

Apr 17, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Hangerholder

I'm guessing that you don't have your photos backed up. But there's a chance your photos will be (yourself)/Pictures/Photo Library.

If you're still struggling to find your lost photos, try to do a Spotlight search for pictures you know should be there. If you find one, your other photos will probably be in the same place.

From what I can tell, there was some way to do a conversion of iPhoto to Photos, however, I don't recall ever seeing anything when I upgraded my IOS version (Yosemite 10.10.3).

You're right; Apple consolidated iPhoto into Photos. In the beginning, the installer asked you if you wanted to put your photo images into Photos.

iphoto and all my photos are missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.