Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 8.3 update my iPhone 5 keeps freezing and reboots random

After the last update to 8.3 my iPhone randomly reboots or freezes w/out warning like in the middle of a conversation / while charging / while connected on iTunes to synch.... I don't know what the problem is. Please send a fix. I cannot rely on my phone when it keeps freezing and takes forever to reboot.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 5:22 PM

21 replies

Apr 20, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Dronelly

If you sync contacts with iCloud you will not lose them. For photos, transfer them to your computer: Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support. You will lose your messages. But there's a sequence that may allow you to keep your content:

• In iTunes on your computer go to Preferences, Devices tab, and check the box to NOT sync automatically
  • Back up your phone to iTunes (connect it to your computer, click on its icon in iTunes, and choose Backup)
  • Also back up to iCloud (on the phone, go to Settings/iCloud, tap Backup, and follow instructions)
  • Now restore the phone and set it up as New. Test it. If the problem remains you have a hardware problem. If the problems are gone, try restoring the iTunes backup using iTunes
  • If the problems come back restore as NEW again, and this time try restoring the iCloud backup.
  • If neither backup allows the phone to work correctly you will have to restore as New, and you will lose app data, messages, and anything else you have not synced to iCloud.

Apr 25, 2015 9:30 AM in response to sabiafromFrankfurt

So, after reading all responses, I must say first of all thank you for keeping this active. It might help more people since I am not the only one with this issue.

What have I done so far? I used the soft reset quite often since it freezes often and the only way to get something out of it is the soft reset. It then takes a little while to reset ( more than once it seems) where the white light with black apple shows up and goes black again, then the home screen, flashes a few times, goes white again..... Black.... Home screen. I noticed that if I just let it do what it does, eventually it will get back to normal..... Until next time. I have emptied the ram, deleted pictures and apps to free space and keep my email accounts low. After all of that I noticed that it still reboots by its own ( suddenly white light w/ apple) and it gets warm on the back ( must be using lots of energy) at least once every day. Even when I think, ok 1 day w/out frozen screen, the light comes on suddenly at night while charging. I also noticed that it even happend once to my iPad ( 2) after updating to 8.3 so I still think it has to do with the recent update to iPhones 5 or older. Dont know if some one has had any problems like that with iPhone 6 or plus.

just wanted to follow up from my end and I think I will just hold on to the next update that hopefully solves the issue. If more ppl have that same problem it might happen soon. So, please keep posting and make the community aware of this so a fix will come soon.. !

After 8.3 update my iPhone 5 keeps freezing and reboots random

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.