Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to repoint iMovie Library to external hard drive in OS X Yosemite

Hi All - My Macintosh HD hard drive is nearly full and as a result my computer is starting to run very slowly. I am OS X Yosemite on a Mid 2007 iMac, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6 GB of memory. A large part of the Mac HD hard drive is being taken up my iMovie Library. Please can anyone let me know how to repoint my iMovie library to an external hard drive? I have my iTunes library on an external hard drive and have plenty of space on this to add my iMovie library.

Thank you for your help.

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 7:43 PM

3 replies

Apr 17, 2015 7:55 PM in response to simon.brown81

Copy the iMovie Library to the external drive. Delete the library on the original drive. Select the iMovie Library on the external drive, press and hold down the COMMAND and OPTION keys while Dragging the icon of the iMovie Library on the external drive to the other drive location where the old library file was once located. This should create an Alias on the internal drive with the same name. The icon for Alias has a curly arrow in the lower left corner.

How to repoint iMovie Library to external hard drive in OS X Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.