Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

save as

The 'Save As' feature has changed to a system that I find totally inefficient and illogical (same for Preview). Is there a work around whereby I can revert to the previous 'Save As' method?

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 2:27 AM

What you are saying is you have only just upgraded from Snow Leopard to… Yosemite?

That is a System change that happened back in Mountain Lion.

The normal method is to hold down the option key when going to the File Menu to reveal the Save As option.

You can keep the Save As permanently in the menu:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/27/enable-save-as-os-x-mountain-lion/

But that will still leave the System automatically saving files once saved, so you have to be extremely careful how and when you make changes, it is very easy to override something you have done without meaning to.

Peter

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 2:27 AM in response to Edward Cox

What you are saying is you have only just upgraded from Snow Leopard to… Yosemite?

That is a System change that happened back in Mountain Lion.

The normal method is to hold down the option key when going to the File Menu to reveal the Save As option.

You can keep the Save As permanently in the menu:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/27/enable-save-as-os-x-mountain-lion/

But that will still leave the System automatically saving files once saved, so you have to be extremely careful how and when you make changes, it is very easy to override something you have done without meaning to.

Peter

Apr 18, 2015 12:58 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter

Thanks for your response.

I actually upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion early June 2014. I'm still resisting Yosemite as I'm not yet convinced that all my pro-music applications (Finale, Logic Pro, Transcribe, and a host of others) will play nicely in that O/S. Unfortunately Finale still has bugs in Mountain Lion.

My experience with Mountain Lion (and with some of my music apps) has been one of 'change for change sake' as opposed to actual improvements. Frustrating!

Generally I quite like Pages - far more preferable to MS Word - but some changes have frustrated me as they seem to fall into the category of 'change for change sake'. 'Save As' is one of those - as is the fact that when saving as a PDF we now have two suffixes - (are we sure Pages is actually made by Apple?).

In all of the other myriad of applications that I use, 'Save As' is still the same as it is in Mountain Lion - Pages and Preview are the exception. Hence the frustration when I have to experience the seeming stupidity of the 'Save As' process within Pages and Preview - and hence my frustrating post earlier today. So I'm currently looking for an alternative, I might have to put up with Word and Adobe Reader - hmmmmm.......

Thanks for your hints and tips though.

Regards,

Edward

Apr 18, 2015 7:30 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hmmm... Maybe the system has changed. Though, the main DAW I use is Logic Pro X, which is the latest version of that software - and it's made by Apple. As of this very second, <command, shift, S> is the default for 'Save As'. I did not set that up in the Keyboard section of System preferences.

It seems to suggest that Apple has one system for their 'pro' apps, and another for their 'consumer' apps. Which doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

I don't use any Microsoft applications. Apart from Pages and Preview, 85most of what I use are professional music applications.

Thanks for your input Peter.

Edward

Apr 18, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Edward Cox

The File menu in OS X applications is standardized in OS X development to provide a Duplicate menu item that is transformed by the option key into Save As… . In Logic Pro X, there was a different, and thus, custom need to provide a Save As Project… menu item. The workaround was a custom keyboard shortcut in shift+command+S, that was not served by the option key duality of the Duplication menu item.

Jul 13, 2015 10:52 AM in response to Edward Cox

Apple, please, please, please, please bring back the Save As fuction. Without Time Machine, I would have lost untold number of files. I don't always remember to make a copy and change the name before working on the file. The way Apple apps work now is a disaster. Thank goodness you haven't forced Adobe and others to do away with Save As, otherwise you would have created an operating system that is actually worse than Microsoft windows.

save as

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.