Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to change the read/write permissions on a time machine back-up of iTunes? I need to restore it, but old version is locked....

Is it possible to change the read/write permissions on a time machine back-up of iTunes? I'm needing to restore it as my phone deleted half our playlists during sync & am not seeing a way to unlock the permissions. I have the current version unlocked, but can't seem to get the backed-up version. When I click on restore I get a pop-up that says iTunes can't be deleted as it is part of the OS. I'm not even trying to delete, just restore the old version. Any suggestions?

iMac, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 9:53 PM

22 replies

Apr 18, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Linc Davis

What I think I need to do is replace my current iTunes w/ a previous version from my time machine back-ups. The reason for this is that we are having trouble w/ the iTunes on our iMac syncing to my phone & for the 2nd time, it has deleted 1/2 the playlists from iTunes on the computer. I was on the phone w/ tech support for quite some time last night which was far from helpful as I think I knew at least as much as the guy w/ whom I was speaking.

So, as I was researching online after talking w/ him, I found what seemed to be a possible solution in that people were suggesting a portion of a time machine back-up could be used to replace an app/file/whatever that had been lost for some reason. This is one of the main sources I found....

http://pondini.org/TM/15.html

As I'm not really a 'computer person', what I didn't realize before I got into all of this is about the read/write permission that is necessary for changes to an app like iTunes since it's connected to the OS. I NOW have our permissions set to read/write for everyone under the 'get info' tab, but on the version on our time machine back-up I didn't have this, as I didn't know it was necessary. Now when I enter time machine & go the previous version of iTunes & click on the restore button, I get a pop-up stating iTunes can't be modified or deleted as it's required by the OS. I also tried right clicking to see if I can change the read/write, which I found I cannot, & in the process found another option to 'restore iTunes to....' & tried to restore it to the applications folder, but ended up w/ the same pop-up as before.

I hope this is a better explanation..........

Apr 19, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Liza-Riza

Hmmm, ok I'll give it a shot. I've always had the iTunes sync w/ my phone set up to only load selected playlists to the phone b/c there's a lot more in iTunes than I have room or desire for on my phone. A few months back I started having trouble w/ trying to sync everything & subsequently adding more to the phone than it could hold. The quickest thing at the time was to unclick the sync music option in iTunes so I could still backup the phone to the computer & not have a problem.

When I asked about it during one-to-one session shortly after, they advised me to delete the music off my phone & then re-sync it to the computer, run a backup of the phone & redownload the music to the phone. When I tried this it ended up deleting all my playlists (but not my husband's) from iTunes. Irritating, but I've been rebuilding the playlists since. I had also unclicked sync music again & an Apple person told me the most likely best fix was to delete & reload iTunes completely.

A few days ago I realized I hadn't backed up the phone to the computer in over a month so after deleting & reinstalling iTunes, & w/o changing anything (sync music was STILL unchecked) I ran a backup & my phone went from having 4 GB free space to being 2 GB over capacity due to iTunes trying to download the entire music library to the phone. I made a one-to-one appt again & it was suggested AGAIN that I delete all the music off my phone & then resync it to the computer & redownload the music. We did this (though a few random songs that had previously been purchased somehow remained on the phone), I got home, connected the phone & instead of the music that shows as 'on my device' disappearing from iTunes it just sat there, so, as the guy had told me I MIGHT have to do, I threw all those songs showing in iTunes as being on my phone, in the trash so that it was completely clear.

At this point I checked sync music, made sure the options were 'selected playlists only', checked the ones from my own list that I wanted (I usually have one playlist of comedians from my husband's folder that I also have on the phone, but didn't check it at this point). It uploaded all my stuff just fine, but for whatever reason when it saw that I wasn't uploading that comedy playlist any longer, it not only didn't upload it but proceeded to delete my husband's entire folder of playlists from iTunes. -_- I got on the phone w/ an Apple support person right away but he wasn't able to tell me anything .. basically said we'll have to rebuild everything. I asked about the possibility of using time machine, he said he's not qualified to answer that, so that's when I started looking around online & found, among others, the link I referenced a couple replies ago.

I hope this all makes sense. It's been a long-term issue so I'm trying to go from memory as I figured to begin w/ that I had just made a mistake somewhere, so didn't try to document anything. Now w/ it having happened a 2nd time, I'm not sure if it was 'user error' or something else.......

Apr 21, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Liza-Riza

Liza-Riza wrote:Chris - I only used the '/' as a marker, not an indicator of actual folder order. Sorry. But I still am not seeing our playlists. I

Correct.

Playlists are not a separate file.

As I previously noted, they are part of the iTunes library.itl.

go into Music/itunes/itunes music but all I see are the artists we have in our library, nothing about any playlists.

Again, correct.

All you will see in /Music/iTunes/iTunes media/Music is Artist folders.

Restore the entire /Music/iTunes/ folder and everything will be there.

Is it possible to change the read/write permissions on a time machine back-up of iTunes? I need to restore it, but old version is locked....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.