Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing OS X

I have formatted my iMac late 2013 with ubuntu 14.10 but it ain't booting up ubuntu . Now i am wanting to get back to OS X . Is there any way to create a bootable stick in a windows PC and reinstall OS X ?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 11:41 PM

3 replies

Apr 18, 2015 12:02 AM in response to Neel Chakraborty

There is no need to create a bootable stick when Apple includes re-installation tools built in.

When booting the system hold down the OPTION key, this will bring up a list of your Partitons on your iMac's HDD, choose the disk icon with Macintosh HD/whatever you called it and it will boot into OSX.

From there go to System Preferences-->Startup Disk-->Choose the disk that holds OSX

If this doesn't work you may need to re-install the OS using OSX Recovery, hold down the Command and R keys at startup to trigger this menu.

Choose "Re-Install OSX" you need to be connected to a Wi-Fi Network/Ethernet Network.

See if this helps🙂

Apr 18, 2015 5:22 AM in response to Neel Chakraborty

So holding at Command+R at startup doesn't trigger Recovery Mode?? Try this and if not, proceed with the next step-Internet Recovery

Internet Recovery is identical to Recovery Mode, however it downloads a fresh copy of it from Apple's Servers, in the case your OS is damaged/corrupted that it cannot initiate the local version of Recovery Mode (such as what has happened to yours).

Hold down Command+Option+R to initiate this--make sure you are connected to a network.

Then choose to "Re-Install OSX" as i mentioned earlier.

Look at this document if you are still stuck-OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

🙂

Installing OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.