Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 MacBook Air vs 2010 MacBook Pro

Hello there,

I'm looking to purchase a new Mac laptop soon and rather than a MacBook Pro I'm considering the MacBook Air and would love some feedback 🙂

I'm a UX / UI Designer and use mainly Illustrator / Photoshop. I occasionally have call to use After Effects, but only for basic stuff. I wouldn't class myself as a power user, though obviously fast performance is better.

I currently use a 15" 2.4 Ghz Single Core i5 Macbook Pro, it has 8GB DDR3 Ram and a 256GB SSD.

I have minimal performance issues with it to be honest, and at least in terms of day-to-day work it's barely showing its age (5 in May).

However I do think it's a good time to cycle and buy a newer machine, and as I work with a 27" display at work, I'm thinking portability and style 😉 .

I'd love a Gold Macbook but I know the performance is not there yet, so what about the Macbook Air? specced up I'm considering:

A 13" 2.2Ghz MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM an a 256GB SSD

How does it compare to the current Macbook Pro? and how would it compare to my old 2010 war horse. As I say, I'm not after top whack performance.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Kieran

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 12:44 AM

3 replies

Dec 23, 2015 5:52 AM in response to Barryonyx

I own a 2015 11" stock MacBook Air and I came from a 2010 White MacBook. My new investment (which I recommend getting a case for BTW) is much lighter, faster and more capable than my old MacBook. I can last an entire day and don't need to worry about charging, and thats in the smaller model! If you got the bigger 13" model with the bigger battery capacity you may be able to work all day. Then again the computer needs to be plugged in to use other displays.

"Portability and style" as you said is greatly represented in the MacBook Air. It is a VERY light computer considering the power it has and it is a vey stylist computer even thought the design is almost 6 years old. I would recommend waiting for the new design and the 6th generation Intel processors to be put in them. The battery life would most likely be improved because of the 3x the battery efficiency in the new processor.

2015 MacBook Air vs 2010 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.