Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex External Harddrive

When I try to add files to my Seagate FreeAgent Go Flex External harddrive I get the message "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)." The drive is not full, the files are not locked, I've saved files before without a problem, and Seagate thinks it's an Apple issue. What should I try to fix the problem? I'm using OSX 10.9.5.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 10:22 PM

17 replies

Apr 19, 2015 3:10 PM in response to KLFranklin

Some app on your Mac has a file open on that drive.

To find out what processes keep files open on the Volume, use the Terminal command.

lsof +D "/Volumes/Name of the offending Volume" <use FreeAgent GoFlex Drive>

Then quit/kill those and you'll be able to unmount it.

Time Machine on drive will not unmount...

To get rid of those error messages, issue the following Terminal command from an Admin-account:

sudo lsof +D "/Volumes/Name of the offending Volume"

Note: I see you only have 22.75 GB on that drive. I suggest you copy that data back to internal drive then reformat with Disk Utility. It appears it's formatted with Seagate software. It's always best to use Apple's Disk Utility to format a drive.

Apr 20, 2015 10:27 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Dianeoforegon -

This is the message I got. When I tried to find the drive in the finder window it didn't show up. I'm not using Time Machine at all.

lsof: WARNING: can't opendir(/Volumes/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/.Trashes): Permission denied

lsof: WARNING: can't opendir(/Volumes/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/.DocumentRevisions-V100): Permission denied

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex External Harddrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.