Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy File From Time Machine Backup?

So I know I can "restore" files from previous history... but I need to copy some files.

Let me explain:

I use Evernote, which stores notes. All the notes are stored all over the place in hidden folders in the OSX and each note is called "note.xhtml." You can find the main folder that stores these and do a basic search of some words you used in a note and then that specific note is revealed in the results (again, they are all titled "note.xhtml" in various folders). This works great, except that the note I'm trying to recover glitched out and isn't showing up in my search results (all the other notes show up fine).

What I want to do is jump into Time Machine, do the same search process and copy the files that are showing up in the results. Then paste them on my current desktop and recover what I'm looking for.

BUT, there is no "copy" function. Well there is, but then it won't let you paste once you are back on your current desktop.

I have also tried "restore", which I don't like because I don't even know what file I am restoring (you dont get a preview in TM mode and all files are called the same "note.xhtml"), but I tried it, and it didn't seem to do anything. I still get no results for that search on my "current" folder setup.

I obviously can't search the Time Machine drive itself, because all the notes are called the same thing.

How can I grab these files from my search results inside Time Machine?

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 10:52 PM

2 replies

Apr 17, 2015 10:56 PM in response to elgraso

or if I could find out what the FOLDER is called, for the files in my results. Then I could look up the folder manually in the Time Machine drive and find those files. But it wont show me any file path.

It's frustrating because I seem to be face to face with what are likely the exact documents I need, but I can't grab them. And I know they are on the drive, but I can't search for them.

Apr 17, 2015 11:15 PM in response to elgraso

new idea:

use the finder to find the Evernote application support folder in the TM Drive itself (from the era I choose) and copy that to the desktop. Then conduct my search that way.

Only I don't know how to get to these hidden files in the context of a Finder search of an external drive:

user/library/application support/com.evernote

to unhide them on the Mac I would "go to folder" and type "~/Library/" and then dig from there. I'm not sure how to access the hidden files outside of this context.....

Copy File From Time Machine Backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.