Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to fully clean install my macbook pro without losing applications?

Hello,

Im currently thinking of setting my macbook to out of the box state. But by doing this i don't want to lose my apps. (creative cloud, cinema 4d. etc etc)

Is this possible?

Im running a rMBP 15" + gt750m mid 2014 10.10.3

Kind regards.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), + GT750m (Mid 2014)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 2:53 AM

Once you erase the HDD, ALL information is deleted. Re-installation of the OSX should also re-install all Apple applications that come with the OSX, but NOT third party applications. You will have to backup third party applications and reinstall them separately.

Ciao.

7 replies

Apr 18, 2015 3:21 AM in response to gbrugman1995

gbrugman1995 wrote:

I just have to copy them from the applications folder to an external source? and paste them back after installing a fresh copy of OSX?

Yes, copy it to an external volume. I call it drag and drop.

I also made a time machine backup, this does backup all the files i made right?

Yes, Time machine should have all information on it except any data that you may have selected not to be backed up.

Ciao.

Is it possible to fully clean install my macbook pro without losing applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.