Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice on upgrading my 2010 MacBook pro

Hi there,

I'm after some advice. I need to purchase a new laptop as my current 2010 MacBook Pro is slowly dying (battery, charger, spinning beach ball). I'm not great with technology obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be asking! Mine is a mid 2010, 13 inch, 2.6GHz, with 4GB RAM and a 320GB SATA Disk and is running current software. I've loved my MBP and it's served me well. It's gotten a touch slow over the years which frustrates me at times, and I find it a little heavy at times. I want it's replacement to be fairly similar in speed, but would definitely like it a little lighter. I think I'd stick with the 13 inch screen too. I do mostly basic stuff with it. Word processing, emails, internet surfing, some photo editing, I have a decent sized itunes library and watch movies etc. I'm open to either a macbook pro or a macbook air.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 12:55 PM

Macbook pro is a better option to go as its much more powerful than your current macbook pro and at the same time is much thinner in profile as well as a very light weight machine. And as, the retina macbook pro is equipped with SSD drive, opening apps will take around just 2 seconds and booting time will be couple of more seconds. The SSD speed is phenomenal. You won’t regret your purchase at all.

Based on your pattern of usage, I would recommend you to go with the base version (entry level) of 13” Macbook pro retina 2015.

Hope this helps.....

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 12:55 PM in response to Nwalker82

Macbook pro is a better option to go as its much more powerful than your current macbook pro and at the same time is much thinner in profile as well as a very light weight machine. And as, the retina macbook pro is equipped with SSD drive, opening apps will take around just 2 seconds and booting time will be couple of more seconds. The SSD speed is phenomenal. You won’t regret your purchase at all.

Based on your pattern of usage, I would recommend you to go with the base version (entry level) of 13” Macbook pro retina 2015.

Hope this helps.....

Apr 18, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Nwalker82

I have a 2010 MBP and it is not slow. If you are using the latest OSX, Yosemite, install at least 8 GB RAM. Your MBP will accept up to 16 GB RAM. The best sources of RAM are OWC and Crucial.

If you instal a SSD, the performance will be enhanced even more. Just today I received the following SSD information that would be compatible with your MBP;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148946&utm_medium=Email &utm_source=EXPRESS041815&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS041815&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS041815-_-EMC -041815-index-_-InternalSSDs-_-20148946-S1A1C

That is a good price for a 500GB SSD. There certainly are other options to choose from.

For about $250+ you could have a MBP that would perform better that the day you took it out of the box.

You also may have some third party software that may be inhibiting performance. Any AV or so called 'cleaning' applications should be eliminated.

Ciao.

Apr 18, 2015 1:30 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Unfortunately it's not just that it's slow. The battery doesn't hold power for long and the charger has also stopped working. I have the beach ball spinning quite a bit nowadays also. I'm thinking by the time I've replaced all these components and find someone to give it a good service (we don't have a mac shop where I am), I would be halfway there to buying a new machine. I think I'd upgrade the RAM in the next one though.

Apr 18, 2015 1:49 PM in response to Nwalker82

If I were you then, I would have upgraded the SSD to 256 GB according to your older 320 GB HDD data space usage. You can also Upgrade to 512 GB, but its quite expensive I would say. You can store your 180 GB data on the 256 GB SSD and if needed later you can store the remaining data on a $60 cheap external HDD like WD, Seagate, Toshiba, Hitachi, etc.....

And yes, It hundred times worth upgrading your RAM to 16 GB but currently the 8 GB will suffice you for couple of years if you don’t intend to multitask RAM hungry applications.

Hope this helps.....

Advice on upgrading my 2010 MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.