Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard, keypad glitch after Security Update 2015-002

The overview is: keyboard problems developed shortly after Security Update-002 on Mavericks 10.9.5. I tried OS update to Yosemite; didn’t fix the problem. Reverted OS back to 10.9.5 using Time Machine for a backup date prior to the Sec Update; this fixed the problem.

Mac mini5,2, 16gbram, wired Apple Pro Keyboard (M7803, circa Mac Cube), Apple Wireless Keyboard, LMP Wireless Numeric Keypad, Apple Magic Mouse (A1296?) iPad 2

Within the past 2 days, Apple BT keyboard alpha keys stopped typing. During troubleshooting, I discovered that problems extended to BT keyboard, BT keypad, and wired spare USB extended keyboard. The BT keyboard pairs and works fine with my iPad. Here’s a list of the glitches:

Apple Wireless keyboard:

alpha keys NO INPUT

space key NO INPUT

Delete key works

Force-Quit sequence works

fn, cntrl, opt, Apple, arrow keys, shift all work

top row keys work

LMP Bluetooth keypad:

keypad: 1..4, 6..9 NO INPUT

keypad "5" registers a mouse click, NO INPUT

keypad "0" jumps to mouse cursor first press only, NO INPUT

=/*-+ and arrows work

Apple Pro USB extended keyboard:

num keys: 1..4, 6..9 NO INPUT

keypad "5" registers a mouse click, NO INPUT

keypad "0" jumps to mouse cursor first press only, NO INPUT

alpha keys and number row keys work

keypad =/*-+ and arrows work

Besides proving the wireless keyboard works on my iPad, I reset PRAM with no improvement. (I had no problems with my Bluetooth Magic Mouse.)

Next step was OS upgrade via Software Update to Yosemite. All above glitches remained.

Next, I reverted to Mavericks 10.9.5 using a Time Machine OS backup dated prior to 9Mar15, the date of Security Update 2015-002. After this, both keyboards and keypad resumed working. Seems clear that the Security Update is the culprit, no?

I reported the issue to Apple via Support Chat.

I would like to eventually upgrade back to the Security Update and Yosemite but not when it breaks my keyboard. Perhaps I could skip over the Sec. Update and go to Yosemite? Any suggestions?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 12:14 AM

2 replies

Apr 20, 2015 1:32 PM in response to Frank Parks

Update:

The day after I reverted to 10.9 to repair keyboard glitches caused by Security Update 2015-002 (and persistent in Yosemite), Apple released Security Update 2015-004. Such a quick succession of -004 on top of both -002 and -003 was the hint to me that -004 contained fixes to the glitches.

I crossed my fingers and jumped back on the install-wagon. Yosemite 10.3 completed its second installation and my keyboards/keypads remain functional!

Keyboard, keypad glitch after Security Update 2015-002

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.