Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo folder greyed out and unable to Sync through iTunes to my iPhone

In summary: When in itunes and syncing a device (iPads/iPhones), under the Photos option, when i 'select folder', 'external hard drive' the Photo library stored here is greyed out and i can't choose it.. so can't get my photos in Photo to be viewable on my iPhone, your tips would be great thanks!

Background - I take photos on a number of devices/cameras then I import them using the Photo App, previously I used iPhoto, to sort them into albums etc. I then would sync my iPhone with iTunes, under Photos I would then click sync photos and choose which of the folders I'd like to be able to view on my phone. My entire Photo (and iPhoto Library) is stored on an external seagate drive. iTunes previously had no problems allowing me to select the folder on this external drive and could view those selected photos on my iphone/ipad etc.

I've udpated my iMac (only a month old) and iPhone (6 plus) with all the latest updates and both are running the Photos app.

Now I've clicked to sync Photos with my iphone and there are no folders/photos to sync - it says 0. When I click the drop down (which currently shows Photo App and 'select folder', I choose my external drive which then shows everything on the drive but its all greyed out and I can't click either the Photo or iPhoto library, Previuosly i have always been able to sync using this external drive, this issue has just occured post moving to Photo instead of iPhoto.

When I open the Photos app I have no problems viewing all my photos/albums etc - all working perfectly. Also my time machine backups are backing up my imac HD and external drive with no worries.

iTunes is syncing my music with match perfectly to my iPhone same with books apps etc.

I've switched everything off - iMac and iPhone and back on. i've unticked the sync Photos option, completed a sync removing all of the iphoto library that was on my phone. I've clicked sync again but there are no photos to sync - I just can't get to the folder - Photo library from the external drive is grey and I can't choose it. My iphone is showing my camera roll, photo stream from the cloud, instagram uploaded photos and recently deleted photos but nothing further. I've also tried this with my iPad with the same result.

Any advice to be able to get the Photo library on the external drive from being greyed out when in itunes syncing a device would be great thanks!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 1:31 AM

16 replies

May 17, 2017 11:33 AM in response to Cassandie

Can someone please help? All that I want to do is import one photo (or video) onto my iphone from my mac iphotos. Separate from all of the explanations here, my issue should literally not exist, because the photos that I am trying to put back on my phone were CREATED on this phone. All that I did was back up my phone onto my macbook air automatically. All of my photos are on my macbook photos app....They are removed from my iphone (to save space), and I just want to add ONE back onto my phone. In the time that I have typed this, I would have already completed this simple function on my android, or literally any other phone on earth....not to hate on apple, but this is just insane...does anyone have thoughts on this? thanks guys

Sep 8, 2017 7:03 AM in response to mauijames

I know this is a year later, but I had the same problem trying to sync photo's to my iphone. I found an article (sorry I didn't document who wrote it, but i give them credit whoever did) that told me that you have to designate a Library in preference's when you have more than one library. 1) To do that you quit Photos, (2) Hold down Option key, then open Photos. One of the photo libraries is already designated as YourLibraryName (System Photo Library). (3) Choose the library you want to designate as the System Photo Library. (4) After Photos opens the library, choose Photos >Preferences from the menu bar. (5) Click the General tab. (6) click the Use as System Photo Library button.

If you open second or different library in the Photos app, and you haven't designated it as the System Photo library, other applications will use photos from the original System Photo Library. You can have many Photo library's but just one can be the System Photo Library at a time. I hope this helps.

Sep 7, 2015 6:57 AM in response to Cassandie

Created an acct just to answer this:

To all of those with a greyed out "Use as a system photo library" button, what worked for me was to resize my iTunes window as big as possible and then I was finally able to select the "Sync Photos" button. It looks like a bug where everything appears greyed out, even when you have already selected to use Photos as the system library, but the issue was just that the window was too small to see the checkbox.

Nov 21, 2015 8:27 PM in response to youknowquincy

Nope. I have Photos on full-screen, and "Use as System Photo Library" is still gray.

My Photos library location is Photos Library, I can't change it.

My iTunes Sync Photos has Pictures as the directory, and Photos Libby is grayed out. So, I can't tell one application where to find pictures to sync.

Maybe Apple should test their software before releasing it to the public.

Apr 10, 2016 3:31 PM in response to Cassandie

I am getting sick of Apple stuff not working. Once upon a time everything "just worked", now it's so bloody complex you don't know if it's you, or a bug. This sort of crap never happened when Steve Jobs was alive, because someone would have copped it if they produced this half-baked rubbish.

I'm running iTunes 12.3.3.17 (even that "About" doesn't work because the version scrolls off the screen before you can note it down!) and Photos 1.5, on El Capitan 10.11.4 with my Photos library on a shared drive. I cannot select the photo library from iTunes because it is always greyed out .... and I've just about had enough of this Apple crap!

Photo folder greyed out and unable to Sync through iTunes to my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.