Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I share photos automatically?

How do I share photos automatically? I have an iMac with OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 and iPhoto 9.5.1. I have an iPhone and an iPad with iOS 8.3. I want to share photos in both directions between iPhoto on the iMac and the Photos app on my iOS devices. I just took a photo of myself, using Photo Booth on the iMac, and I wanted to see it on my iPhone. I found a way to do that manually by means of iCloud (see Get help with your iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support.) But is there a way to automatically have photos from any of my devices appear on all my other devices? Thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 8:05 AM

8 replies

Apr 18, 2015 8:13 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks, but I am actually asking how to automatically share photos between iPhoto fo rMac and iOS devices. I used Photo Booth to snap a photo, which appeared in iPhoto but did not automatically appear on my iPhone.

I also took some photos on my iPhone but they did not automatically appear in iPhoto on the iMac.

So how do I get photos taken on any one of my devices to automatically appear on all of my devices?

Apr 18, 2015 2:34 PM in response to Old Toad

Larry and Old Toad,

I'm confused. I took more photos and then I added them to iPhoto — yes, from Phone Booth. They duly showed up in iPhoto's Last Import and in iPhoto:Shared:iCloud:My Photo Stream. So far so good. But they don't automatically show up in Photos on my iPhone or in Photos on my iPad. Nor are they present in iCloud's photo library when I look at it in my browser. I would have guessed that being in iPhoto:Shared:iCloud:My Photo Stream would guarantee their automatically uploaded presence in those other places. What am I missing? What have I failed to do that I ought to have done? Thanks.

Apr 20, 2015 1:21 PM in response to LarryHN

OK, Larry ...

I finally got around to working on this again. Sorry for the delay. I did the things listed in the link you provided. Something is still wrong. I have 299 photos in iPhoto's My Photo Stream on my iMac, but in iCloud and on my iOS devices, only 228 show up. Several I added to iPhoto from My Photo Stream on Saturday are missing in iCloud/iOS, while two from that same batch do show up. If I select one of the missing ones in iPhoto's My Photo Stream and try to "Share" it expressly with iCloud, iCloud asks, "Shot this photo in your library?/To edit or share this photo, you must use the version that has already been imported into your library." If I click on "Show in Library" in the dialog, I am taken to the same photo in Library:Photos. If I then use the "Share:iCloud" icon while that photo is selected, I see a box that has three items: "New photo stream," "My Photo Stream," and (another photo stream I have) "WWI Shared by You." If I then click on "My Photo Stream," a dialog appears saying, "All the selected photos are already in My Photo Stream."

So it looks like the photos that are not actually present in iCloud/iOS are ones that give me this weird circular behavior in iPhoto. Do you have any suggestions or explanations? Thanks.

How do I share photos automatically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.