Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know a fix to FCP 10.2 startup crash bug?

FCP 10.2 crashes regardless of using the latest OS X 10.10.3. (Late 2012 21.5-inch iMac, 3,1GHz with 16 Gt, 1600 MHz DDR3, plenty of free HD space.)

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), The most recent software update.

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 3:06 AM

11 replies

Apr 18, 2015 3:41 AM in response to Avanaut

Try creating a new user and run FCP X from that new account.

If it works, then it is probably something in your user account, not specifically FCP X related.

It it still crashes, then you may want to delete FCP X completely (use FCS Remover application from Digital Rebellion), and download a fresh copy from the purchases section of the App Store.

Apr 18, 2015 4:17 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Figured out how to create new user and run FCP X from that. Didn't help. FCP X still crashes but a step later, this time it opens the window and then crashes, originally it crashed right after launch.

The second option, delete and reinstall the whole FCP X, I would like to try that but I'd need to know whether it deletes projects that are saved within FCP?

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2015 4:18 AM in response to Avanaut

First of all, deleting FCP X and reinstalling does NOT delete your projects.

As to creating a new user:

Open System Preferences, click on "Users & Groups".

Click the padlock at the bottom left if necessary, and enter your password.

Then click the "+" button to add a new user. Make sure that "Allow user to administer this computer" is CHECKED

(this makes the new user also an "admin" for your computer; FCP X seems to work better in an admin account; your own account is by default an admin account, probably the only one in your mac, I guess).

User uploaded file

Apr 18, 2015 5:16 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have now tried to launch FCP X with a new user (with admin status as instructed), but to no avail, the program still crashed.

Then I removed FCP X from my computer using the Digital Rebellion remover application, restarted computer, installed a fresh version from app store, but the crash still happens just like it did the first time.

What to do next?

Apr 18, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Avanaut

A bad font is another possible cause.In this support doc,skip down to the section on Validating. If it reports something, follow the instructions on disabling.

Otherwise, suggest going back to the DR site and downloading Pro Maintenance tools to run that suite's crash reporter. There is a trial version.

Finally, run System Diagnostics to see whether you possibly have a hardware problem.

Russ

edited to include omitted link

Apr 18, 2015 6:23 AM in response to Russ H

Computer start in safe mode > DR Pro Maintenance download & install > crash analyzer > computer restart normal mode > FCP X clear prefs start – and it works! Managed to restore projects from backup folder and, at the moment, everything is up and seems to be running normally.

Thank you very much for your time and help. Have a great weekend!

Does anyone know a fix to FCP 10.2 startup crash bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.