Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto has a circle with a line through it. I cannot access my pics.

When I attempt to open iPhoto from applications it says I need to download new version from App store. Once I go to the app store to do that, it tells me that the version I need isn't available in the US. How do I update so I can access my photos!?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 5:47 AM

29 replies

Apr 18, 2015 8:42 AM in response to hwh783

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 19, 2015 6:02 PM in response to LarryHN

"In order to open "iPhoto", you need to update to the latest version. The version of iPhoto installed on this mac is not compatible with t OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store." Gives me option of "Cancel" or "Search App Store". I click on "Search App Store". It says "Item Not Available. The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store". The version I have is iPhoto 8.1.2 and I have not attempted to use it in a while so I'm not SURE what has changed but I believe I have updates my OS since using it last. I do not have a preference on what app I use, I just want to be able to access my pics.

Jun 25, 2015 9:31 PM in response to hwh783

this happened to me today. I have yosemite now and the app is now called photos. When you open it, it will ask for you to choose a library. I think mine was automatically generated (photo library or something). click on it and follow the steps. It will create a library for you and then you will get all your photos back. Farking Phew!! Thought it was a bug and was going to lose all my pics but I didn't =)

Jun 26, 2015 2:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence, I have tried your method of retrieving iPhoto but no success I'm afraid. Downloaded Yosemite last night. Same trouble with iPhotos as other contributors. i.e. told I need updated version but can't get it from App store.

trashed my old version as per your answer. Went to 'Purchases' iPhoto was there but it only had the option 'OPEN' when clicked on this nothing happened.

Now at a loss.

W.

iPhoto has a circle with a line through it. I cannot access my pics.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.