Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

want to merge songs in iTunes

yes, I can find exact duplicates, but deleting either one deletes the saved original and then the remaining copy won't play.

if Address Book can locate, ask permission, & merge duplicates, why can't iTunes?

so far the only way out I can think of is putting a copy on the desktop, deleting both in iTunes, and then putting the one copy from desktop back in, but that's very time-consuming...

iTunes-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5), iTunes 12.1.2.27

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 6:13 AM

Saraswati110 wrote:

..... deleting either one deletes the saved original and then the remaining copy won't play.

Go to Preferences > Advanced, and click the button for "Reset all dialog warnings." Then iTunes will prompt you before it deletes a song file, and give you chance to say no.

5 replies

Apr 18, 2015 5:59 AM in response to Saraswati110

Saraswati110 wrote:

thanks, it does give me a warning already, unless this is a different warning...

are you saying that this will allow me to delete the duplicate without deleting the original? I don't want two copies linked to one original.

Hi Saraswati,

If you start with two library entries and each has its own song file. then deleting one will not affect the other. I suspect that the behavior you are seeing comes from having two library entries that are linked to the same song file. If that is the case, then you you want to delete the extra library entry, but keep the song file (so that the other library entry can still use it). Does that fit your situation?

Apr 18, 2015 6:19 AM in response to ed2345

Thanks, Ed,

Yes, that's what I meant by two copies linked to one original. But I just tried the "keep file" option in the alert for the first time (duh) and it DID still delete the second listing in the library while leaving untouched the other listing AND the original. For some reason I thought if I chose this option it wouldn't delete the duplicate listing in the library! What a relief!

Thanks so much!

Apr 18, 2015 6:24 AM in response to Saraswati110

Saraswati110 wrote:

Thanks, Ed,

Yes, that's what I meant by two copies linked to one original. But I just tried the "keep file" option in the alert for the first time (duh) and it DID still delete the second listing in the library while leaving untouched the other listing AND the original. For some reason I thought if I chose this option it wouldn't delete the duplicate listing in the library! What a relief!

Thanks so much!

Saraswati,

Glad it worked out. Enjoy the music!

Ed

want to merge songs in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.