Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows not starting after resizing the Partition..

Hey guys

i've got a huge problem.

I have an iMac 2007, running both, OSX and Windows via Bootcamp. All worked fine, till i wanted to resize the OSX Partition to increase the Bootcamp one. I already did this one time, but this time this did not work. My OSX works perfectly, but Bootcamp doesn't start anymore. I can select it in the bootmenu, but it just says 'missing operation system...'. I already tried rEFIt, but this did not worked, it just synchronized something.

Here is a screenshot of my harddrive in disk utility:

User uploaded file

If you need this, i have done this too:

User uploaded file

I know this problem is well known here, but i didn't found any solutions on my specific case here..:(

Thanks for your help!

Sorry if my english isn't on a that high level, i'm german 🙂

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 6:39 AM

1. Your Recovery HD is missing.

2. You have a large gap between GPT3 and GPT4, which is the most likely place where you have a lost NTFS header.

3. Can you use Bootcamp partition missing after yosemite installation as a reference and start with a Testdisk scan?

41 replies

Apr 18, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Bastianum

Your GPT2 ends at 138425080, the two MS Data entries after Recovery HD ends, are at 196993024, with different sizes. The third MS Data entry is at 196993031 (a further 7 sectors away). The gap is roughly about 27GB. Before you proceed further, I have a couple of questions

1. Was a new partition created/deleted via Disk Utility?

2. This list shows Recovery HD, but your current GPT does not show one. Was Recovery HD manually erased/merged into another disk slice? This has significant consequences, because it can potentially corrupt NTFS MFTs causing file corruption.

3. Can you provide events in a bit more detail on how you got to this specific state?

Apr 18, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Loner T

1. No, i just resized my Macintosh HD Partition to increase the Bootcamp one afterwards. But after resizing Macintosh HD, the Windows Partition did not boot anymore..so i did not created/deleted any partition, i just resized.

2. I didn't even touched Recovery HD, at least not on purpose. I just resized Macintosh HD. But the Recovery HD does not show up in the bootmenu anymore..

3. I noticed i need some more storage for my Bootcamp partition. I started Disk Utility by booting from my OSX 10.6 DVD, because it is not possible to resize the partition while running the OS itself..:b I decreased Macintosh HD by 20GB or something. After that my Windows AND my Recovery Partition didn't show up in bootmenu anymore. I researched and my OSX worked fine. I booted my iMac by a rEFIt DVD and ran the Partition tool, which synchronized something with my partitions, but nothing happend to my system. After entering some lines of code i found as a solution under another post (something with pid4 and disk04 or something), my Windows partition showed up in the bootmenu again, but as i said, 'missing operating system..'.

Apr 18, 2015 9:42 AM in response to Bastianum

Bastianum wrote:

What shall i do with the TestDisk Window? Actually I am in the menu with the recoverable HD's, i can press continue or modify the partitions. Continue or not?

Use the Down arrow key to get to the first MS Data entry and use 'P - List Files'. Do not use left/right arrow keys in Testdisk. You are looking for a listing similar to

User uploaded file

Windows not starting after resizing the Partition..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.